Graduating from university is a huge deal. You’ll never have another experience quite like it in your lifetime. You’re about to step out into the real world, get your first real career and leave your time in student limbo behind you. People have mixed feelings about it. Some will be excited, some terrified, some relieved, some all of the above and more. So, here some inspirational quotes to get you through this period of transition.
1. "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt
There’s nothing more important than having confidence in your own skills and abilities. No matter what your grades are, this experience has been worthwhile, so believe in yourself and get ready for the next step.
2. "You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way" - Dr Seuss
Throw yourself in at the deep end with whatever is coming next for you. Go into all of your endeavors wholeheartedly.
3. "There's the whole world at your feet." - Mary Poppins
What comes next is ultimately your choice. Right now, it’s unlikely that you have huge responsibilities that will get in the way of your hopes and dreams, so consider every option that’s out there for you - and there are so many!
4. "What's comin' will come, an' we'll meet it when it does." - Hagrid
Try to not go into a state of shock. What will be, will be. Just because you’ve finished university you don’t have to figure out your entire life path right now. Just go with it and whatever problems you might face, deal with them at the time.
5. "Take it all ONE DAY at a time and ENJOY the journey" - Kristi Bartlett
This is so important. If you’re always looking at the end goal, your life in the meantime will leave you unfulfilled. So enjoy every step of the way.
6. "You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it yourself." - Glinda, The Wizard of Oz
You have gained so much during your time at university. Know that and own it. Look at how far you’ve come, how you’ve grown, how you’ve developed – this is the key to approaching your first job with confidence.
7. "Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." - Bruce Lee
Just because you have finished the formal phase of your education, doesn’t mean you will stop learning.
8. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss
The harsh truth is that you’ll miss your friends as they go off in their own direction, you’ll miss the lifestyle that you had as a student and you’ll miss the entire experience. But look back fondly and know that there are more great experiences coming your way.
9. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Your capacity to do great things comes from within, don’t get bogged down by anticipating everything that will happen in the future. It almost never works out the way you imagine.
10. "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Don’t be just another statistic, another face in the sea of hopeful graduates. Be yourself, live your dreams and only your dreams!
Remember that it’s normal to be unsure or anxious when you’re going through such a huge change in your life. It might take some time for you to realise it, but it will all work out in the end. Now is the time for you to embrace the next phase in your life and enjoy every minute of it.