Sofia Vergara is one of the hottest actresses and celebrity moms in Hollywood and this last month has been celebrating an Emmy Award for her role as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett in the hilariously funny “Modern Family.”
Sofia has battled with some ups and downs in her life before making it big in Hollywood (including a battle with thyroid cancer) but it looks like both her personal life and career are on the right track.
Check out these ten facts you probably didn’t know about Sofia!
- Sofia is quoted as saying, “I'm a natural blonde. But when I started acting, I would go to auditions and they didn't know where to put me because I was voluptuous and had the accent--but I had blonde hair. It was ignorance: they thought every Latin person looks like Salma Hayek.”
- After she divorced, she studied pre-dentistry at a Colombian university for 3 years.
- Sofia was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2000, but after treatment has had a full recovery
- Her older brother was killed in a bungled kidnapping attempt in 1998. Later, she brought her son, mother, and sister with her to live in the U.S.
- Her sister, Sandra, is now a minor movie and television actress in the United States.
- Her mother, Margarita Vergara Dávila de Vergara, is a homemaker, and her father, Julio Enrique Vergara Robayo, produced cattle for the meat industry.
- She grew up in her hometown of Barranquilla and was raised as a devout Catholic in a well-off family, attending a private bilingual Spanish/English school.
- Her nickname is ‘La Toti’
- She was named one of People magazine's "50 most beautiful people" and has been recognized by both the Hollywood Reporter and Billboard as one of the most influential Latinas in Hollywood.
- She was recently in all media news as she twerked in the Emmy’s Ceremony and stated: “Check it out Miley”