Nowadays, a college degree alone isn’t always enough to stand out from the crowd. You need to boast noticeable experience and skills that will show prospective employers what an asset you would be. Studies show that 66% of college grads are not prepared after leaving college. On the other hand, 58% of hiring managers say they don’t plan to hire entry-level graduates this year.
- How about joining a club or society? Start getting involved as early as freshman year. You will earn extra points if the club is related to your major.
- Be sure to take up a leadership role in this club. Organise events, manage the club’s budget, allocate responsibilities or manage the group’s social media presence.
- Have you ever participated in a study exchange programme abroad? What did you learn from the local culture? Did you learn any foreign language(s)? In today’s highly globalised market, having diverse language skills accelerates your way to success.
- Having a digital portfolio can do wonders for your self-development and promotion of your work. Weebly, Wordpress and Dribble are just a few amazing tools you can use to create one!
- You don’t need to have experience as a full-time employee to show your value. Picking up part-time contracting gigs or freelance work as well as volunteering are also great ways to develop essential skills that are highly sought-after by employers.
Wonder what other college experiences will make you a highly marketable candidate? Check out this infographic to find out…