If you thought, some of the career options available today are strange, or just plain nasty take a look at this list and count your lucky stars these jobs don’t still exist!
Also see: 15 Weird and Crazy Job Titles
1. Phrenologist – a pseudo-scientist that attempted to estimate a person’s intellect via their skull structures
2. River Pigs – they would move stuck logs along rivers when stuck
3. Powder Monkeys (why so many animal named jobs?) – young children that brought black powder to cannons on ships…yeah children running around a ship with explosives was actually a job back then and not an invitation for child protection services.
4. Badgers (origin of the term to ‘badger’ someone) – a middle man that would by farmer’s goods and sell them at market
5. Rattener – A rat collector that sold his rodent cache to pubs….
6. Leech Collectors – collected marshmallows and rainbow farts for medical procedures, nope they caught leeches.
7. Resurrectionists – sourced cadavers for medical schools
8. Sin-eater – food and drink would be placed on a body to absorb the departed’s sins. A person would then eat that food with a side of succulent sin.
9. Knocker up - human alarm clock, would knock on doors and windows to wake people
10. Lector - human RSS feed, would read the newspaper to Victorian factory workers
11. Mudlarks – they would fish valuables out of the river-bed and sell them
12. Filibusters – American Mercenaries in South America
13. Lungs - human fire fans in Alchemic labs.
14. Alnagers – would gauge the quality and universal quantity of cloth
15. Necessary Woman – would clean out chamber pots for pre-porcelain throne people.
16. Lamplighters – the job is in the name
17. Ice Cutters – see above
18. Fuller – would condition cloth by stepping on it with a mixture of clay and urine
19. Thimblerigger – the precursor to the also nearly extinct three cup ball game (non-sexual variation)
20. Pinsetters – Young boys that would set pins in bowling alleys
21. Dog Whippers – No comment, self-explanatory
22. Gong Farmer – these men would come at night at take your poo, and you thought the boogeyman was scary
23. Herb Strewer – human potpourri dispensers, would through aromatic herbs at the feet of royals to mask the smell of Victorian….everywhere.
24. Catchpole – Default Debt Collector
25. Weirkeeper – fish trap tender
26. Hobblers – Human Tugboats
27. Arkwrights – they would make wooden chest and storage solutions. Human IKEA’s?
28. Redsmiths – Coppersmith’s
29. Knackers – Harness makers
30. Chandlers - Candlemakers
31. Egglers – Egg sellers
32. Colliers – Charcoal sellers
33. Haberdashers – Men accessory sellers
34. Ackerman – Ox herders
35. Hayward – policemen that watched fences…
Wow, some of those are really, really dumb! Do you have any others you would like to add to our list? Let me know in the comment section below.