Various products and services require different marketing strategies. Marketing consultants work hand in hand with companies to devise strategies that can enhance the visibility of their products to customers. This career is ideal for professionals with vast marketing knowledge and experience.
1. What Do Marketing Consultants Do?
Their duties include:
- Teaching clients (businesses) about the pros and cons of various marketing strategies
- Working with the marketing managers of these enterprises to devise marketing strategies
- Conducting market research – This involves designing questionnaires and interviewing consumers
- Monitoring developments in various consumer markets
- Monitoring the performance of marketing campaigns and recommending suitable changes
- Analyzing the effectiveness of emerging marketing platforms, such as mobile applications
- Training an organization’s marketing workforce
2. Work Environment
Marketing consultants work from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. When not in their private offices, they can be found in clients’ premises.
Since marketing consultants also often attend marketing events, you can expect to spend a significant amount of time on the road.
According to Indeed, the annual average salary for marketing consultants in the US is $71,000.
4. Education and Experience
Marketing consultants are industry experts. As such, you need several years of industry experience and the right education to enter this profession.
Ideally, you should start by earning a bachelor’s degree in marketing. You need a broad knowledge of the field, so it is not advisable to specialize in specific fields -- such as online marketing -- at the undergraduate level.
Below are some of the best schools for a bachelor’s degree in marketng:
After graduating, the next step is to find employment as a marketer and work for at least five years.
5. Career Development
As you continue gaining marketing experience, engage in the following professional development activities:
- Obtain professional marketing certifications, such as the American Marketing Association’s Professional Certified Marketer
- Pursue a master’s degree in marketing – At the graduate level, you may specialize in digital marketing or any other area that may interest you
- Join professional associations such as the American Marketing Association.
At this point, you can establish a marketing consultancy and start finding clients.
6. Important Qualities
To be an accomplished marketing consultant, you need:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent marketing skills
- Critical and creative thinking skills
- A high level of commercial awareness
- Client management skills
- Market research skills
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Teamwork skills
- Decision-making skills
- Planning and organizational skills
7. Job Opportunities
Although many marketing consultants run their own firms, it is possible to find in-house consulting opportunities in:
- Large enterprises
- Established marketing agencies
- Established marketing consultancies
Finally, CNN Money, which ranks market consultancy as one of the best jobs in America, notes that the profession will experience a massive 41.2 percent boost through 2022. This translates to about 282,700 jobs.
So if you are passionate about marketing and you think you have what it takes to help businesses achieve desired results, then this a job you could chase.