Astrologers study the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies such as the moon and the sun, and how they influence human life. These professionals combine astrology and science to unveil the relationship between what happens beyond the skies and the world we live. An ideal candidate for this job should possess a high degree of curiosity and a background in natural science.
What Do Astrologers Do?
In a nutshell, astrologers monitor the positions of celestial bodies and scientific tools such as star charts to create horoscopes that predict future events and generate expectations about a person’s personality.
Typical duties of astrologers include:
- Studying the effect of positioning of the sun, moon, and stars on the earth’s environment
- Analyzing the effects caused by certain alignments of the planets and other heavenly bodies on humans psyche, health and fate
- Preparing birth charts entailing the scope of an individual’s potential
- Defining the likely cause of mysterious events that happen to individuals in a particular time of the year
- Advising on personal development
- Managing research projects in research institutions
- Delivering lectures to astrology students in higher learning institutions
- Performing scientific calculations and analyzing scientific data and records
Astrologers have irregular work schedules mainly because they typically work on a freelance basis. As such, they have the power to determine their work schedules.
Astrologers spend their time in offices writing astrology articles, or in observatories where they use telescopes and other equipment to monitor the movement of celestial bodies.
The table below shows the average annual salary for astrologers:
There are no standard educational requirements for become an astrologer. This, however, does not mean you can wake up one morning and proclaim yourself an astrologer. Clients are often wary of individuals without a relevant academic background.
Since astrologers need an intricate understanding of planetary movement, you should pursue a degree in astronomy. You can then enhance your knowledge by pursuing astrology courses offered by the following institutions:
Since astrologers also use computers and advanced software to study planetary movements, pursuing short computer courses can add to your competence.
Important Skills and Abilities
To become a successful astrologer, you should have:
- An excellent grasp of astronomical principles
- Good people skills to work effectively with other professionals, such as astronomers
- Good analytical, research and math skills
- Good spoken and communication skills
- Good technical skills and physical stamina to handle some of the scientific equipment
- Good interpersonal skills to work effectively with clients who may be wary of what their future holds
It is not easy to break into the profession and immediately gain clients. Many astrologers actually begin by performing readings to friends and relatives. You will most likely follow this route, or work under experienced astrologists with established businesses.
As you become more passionate about your job and gain more experience, you can establish your own business and begin providing astrology services.
To improve your credibility and enhance your chances of climbing to higher heights in astrology, you can:
- Join professional associations such as the International Society for Astrological Research and the American Federation of Astrologers
- Get certified by the Professional Astrologers’ Alliance
- Pursue a master’s and doctorate in predictive astrology
Although many astrologers run private businesses, you can also be hired by:
- Publishing firms
- Research institutions and media houses
- Higher learning institutions.
You can only find research or teaching jobs if you hold a graduate degree.
Although the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn’t compile occupation data for astrologers, you can expect to get started on a freelance basis as soon as you obtain all the qualifications. To succeed, however, you must focus on building your reputation by making accurate readings for your clients. Imagine telling a client she will become a CEO in two years’ time, and it comes to pass! She will certainly refer her friends your way. And that means more clients!
So if you have an interest in Astronomy and of course Astrology this could be the right career for you.