The Internet has not only created a trading platform for many businesses, but also millions of jobs. Online marketing executives are a good of example of professionals who live and breathe Internet. Read on to learn more about this career, and determine whether it is a good fit for you.
1. What Do Online Marketing Executives Do?
Their duties include:
- Managing digital marketing campaigns or strategies – The campaigns could be designed to market a digital product, service or idea
- Evaluating the effectiveness of online marketing campaigns
- Finding new opportunities for online marketing campaigns
- Reviewing marketing copy for email campaigns
- Maintaining positive business relationships with the representative of ad networks
- Leading online sales and marketing teams
- Monitoring the online marketing activities of other competing business and coming up with ways to counter their web presence
- Controlling the online marketing budget
- Attending product launches and other industry events
- Staying abreast of new Internet marketing technologies
2. Work Environment
Usually, online marketing executives work from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. However, because most of their duties are web-based, nothing stops from going online during the weekends to check the progress of a marketing campaign.
During the official work hours, these executive typically spend their time in an office environment.
According to Indeed, online marketing executives earn an average annual salary of $89,000.
4. Entry Requirements
The most straightforward way to become an online marketing executive is to earn a bachelor’s degree in digital marketing. The program will help you gain the knowledge of traditional marketing and business management practices, as well as:
- Email marketing
- Viral marketing
- Web analytics
- Digital content
- Online automated tools
- Global strategies in digital marketing
- Search engine optimization
- Ethics and social responsibility in the digital age
Some of the schools offering this program include:
- New England College of Business, Massachusetts
- Bellevue University, Nebraska
- Full Sail University, Florida
You can also get started with the traditional bachelor’s degree in marketing, as long as it has courses in digital marketing. It is also possible to learn about the various aspects of digital marketing online after completing a degree such as history, politics or computer science.
5. Career Development
With a bachelor’s degree, you will begin an entry-level position, such as digital marketing specialist.
To move from an entry-level position to the position of an online marketing executive, you need to:
- Strive to create innovative digital marketing that can improve the company’s sales volume
- Pursue a professional certification from the Digital Marketing Association to improve your competence. The association also offers professional membership opportunities, which you should grab to access a host of professional development resources, including digital marketing eBooks.
- Join the American Marketing Association, particularly because it has a division for digital marketers
- Pursue master’s degree in digital marketing
6. Important Qualities
To be a successful online marketing executive, you need:
- Strong computer and Internet skills
- Superior communication skills
- Superior skills in product marketing
- A passion for technology
- The ability to think creatively
- Good budgeting skills
- Good leadership skills
- Skills in branding
- Good presentation skills
- Skills in social media marketing
- An aptitude for sales and business development
- Skills in planning product launches
- Customer relationship management skills
- An interest in the future of digital products and services
7. Job Opportunities
The employers of online marketing executives include:
- Digital advertising agencies
- Web-based businesses (online shops)
- A range of offline companies, including banks, supermarkets and insurance companies.
With vast experience as an online marketing executive, you can be hired by large companies with multi-million digital marketing budgets. You can also venture into self-employment and establish a digital marketing consultancy.
See Also: How to Market to Young People
The digital marketing industry is growing rapidly. According to Sacred Heart University, digital marketing will become a $77 billion industry in 2016. This represents 35 percent of the total advertising spending, and can only mean the demand for digital marketers will keep rising.
So if you think you have what it takes to launch digital marketing campaigns that can go viral and generate thousands of sales, then you can become a digital marketing executive.