If you are about to graduate or have already graduated and are looking for employment, you may be considering a move overseas. There are a number of reasons why graduates choose to relocate overseas to find employment:
- Economic and employment circumstances in your country of domicile may be weak
- Limited opportunities in your area of specialization
- Desire to experience a new culture
- Desire to learn a new language or improve existing language skills
- Aspiration to improve your skill-set and become more independent/self-reliant
- Aspiration to improve CV and overall career prospects upon returning to country of domicile
Finding a program that suits you
There are numerous overseas employment programs available to graduates that set them up with a job and a place to stay as well as connecting them with likeminded graduates performing similar roles. Such opportunities offer paid employment for a contracted period of time.
Before graduating it is advisable to research the available overseas programs and explore some of the many programs that your university offers as part of post-study employment. There are also unlimited websites catering to graduates who wish to find employment overseas after graduating.
One of the first steps to take is to establish the type of employment you wish to undertake during your time abroad. You will then need to select a location that offers employment in that area. From here, you should sign up with a graduate overseas employment program, or find work independently if preferred.
There are a number of factors to bear in mind before moving overseas, including:
- How you will find employment (before or after relocating)
- Where you will work
- Where you will live
- The cost of living
- The forms of transport that you will use
In many cases graduates are offered full-time employment upon completion of their contract, and many choose to remain in their overseas country for far longer than initially anticipated.