Hong Kong has become one of the major cities in the world in the last few decades. It is one of the eight Alpha+ cities in the world, and ranks fifth on the Global Cities index. For those considering working abroad, Hong Kong is definitely the place to be.
See Also: How To Get A Work Visa In Canada
You are able to stay in Hong Kong as a tourist from anywhere between 7 to 180 days, but if you plan to work in Hong Kong, you need a work visa.
Note: You can be fined up to HK$50,000 and your employer fined up to HK$350,000 if you do not have a work visa.
Here’s how to apply for and get the work visa:
1. Get a Job Offer
The best way to get a work visa in Hong Kong is to have an employment offer from a Hong Kong company. If the company wants you to work for them, they will submit a letter of sponsorship to the Hong Kong government promising to sponsor you (as a foreign national) to the country.
If you have a job offer, it’s pretty easy to get the visa. The company will usually do the paperwork, which will take up to 6 weeks to process. The visa will usually last for the duration of your contract, and even if you are fired from your company, you are able to stay for the duration of the visa.
2. Move to Hong Kong and Find a Job
You are allowed to visit Hong Kong without a special visa, so it may be worth it to spend a few weeks in the country to find job opportunities.
Here are a few sites to check out:
If you’re in Hong Kong, it will be much easier to apply for the jobs in person. You’ll have a better chance of getting the jobs if you’re present for a face-to-face interview.
Then, once you have the job offer, you can get the company to apply for the visa for you.
3. Find the Right Type of Visa
In order to obtain the work visa, you need to know which type of visa you are eligible for. Here are the types of visas:
- General employment, for anyone sponsored by companies to work in Hong Kong. This visa is also valid for Second Generation Chinese, Entrepreneurs, Non-Chinese students, and Dependents of residents of Hong Kong.
- Imported workers, for anyone brought into Hong Kong for their specific skills. This visa is also valid for Professional Entrants, Non-local Graduates, Mainland Students, and Qualified Workers.
- Capital investors, or anyone investing in Hong Kong companies.
Note: If you already had a work visa and need to renew it, go here…
Make sure you have the right type of visa, according to the type of work you’ll be doing.
4. Meet the Requirements
In order to qualify for a work visa in Hong Kong:
- You must have a graduate degree, or "considerable" technical experience in an industry
- You need relevant experience in the position for which you are applying
- The company must offer you a salary that meets local industry standards (no less than HK$20,000)
- The company must prove that you are the ideal candidate for the job, and that the job cannot be filled by a local
If you meet these requirements, you can visit the Hong Kong government website, download the forms, and fill them out. Once filled out, they can be submitted to any Chinese government consulate, or you can bring them to the branch office nearest you in Hong Kong.
See Also: How to Get a Work Visa in Turkey
The process is not short, but it’s pretty straight-forward. With an employment offer in hand, you’ll find it simple to get your work visa in Hong Kong.