Employing some 54,000 people from over 80 different nationalities, Airbus is a global company that thrives on the mix of ideas, vision and knowledge such a combination of cultures creates. Airbus offers outstanding apprenticeships at both its UK sites - Broughton, North Wales and Filton, near Bristol. All programmes last three years and combine college or university studies with practical training.
Apprentices at Airbus do not exclusively involve engineering or aerospace roles. They combine theoretical study with on-the-job training and you will learn about the entire process of manufacturing an Airbus aircraft to logistics, marketing and sales.
Here is an overview of the available apprenticeships at the world’s leading aviation firm:
Higher Supply Chain Logistics Apprenticeship
Supply Chain Logistics (SCL) supports the wide range of aircraft produced by Airbus with an integrated supply chain. It manages the supply base of hundreds of external suppliers responsible for parts and materials consumed during the wing manufacture process for all programmes in Broughton and A400M in Filton.
This apprenticeship leads to Essential Skills Level 3, NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations (PEO), BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Supply Chain Management, CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply) Level 5 and NVQ Level 3 in Logistics Operations Management, among others.
• Two A Levels (or equivalent; this includes Welsh, Scottish and International equivalents only) at grade B or above in Business Studies or a BTEC National Diploma in Business Studies (Distinction) and a related subject such as Economics.
• Six GCSEs (or equivalent; this includes Scottish and International equivalents only) at grade C or above including Maths and English.
Bear in mind that applications are considered on an individual basis. So even if you do not meet the above criteria, you can still apply if you have other qualifications or suitable experience.
Application Deadline: 31/3/2014
The Undergraduate Apprenticeship
The Undergraduate Apprenticeship is a specialist programme designed to develop high-level aeronautical engineering skills. It includes academic and vocational studies in aerospace engineering, with industry based work at an Airbus site in Filton, Bristol or Broughton, North Wales. You’ll work towards a B.Eng in Aerospace Engineering (Manufacturing) and, in return, the company will pay you a regular salary and all your university course fees.
The first of its kind in the UK, Airbus is leading the way with this programme through which participants will also achieve a professional IEng level qualification.
• 300 UCAS points
• Two A Levels (or equivalent; this includes Welsh, Scottish and International equivalents only) at grade B or above in Maths and Physics
• Six GCSEs (or equivalent; this includes Welsh, Scottish and International equivalents only) at Grade C or above in Maths, English and Science (Core and Additional). If GCSE Science has been taken as separate subjects, one of the qualifications gained must be in Physics.
Application Deadline: 31/3/2014
The Craft Apprenticeship is a three-year programme focused on Aeronautical Engineering, with the first year spent at one of Airbus’ partner colleges, and the second and third years on-site at Broughton or Filton. Through a Craft Apprenticeship you can become a skilled craftsperson (e.g. aircraft mechanical or electrical). You’ll need a good head for figures and IT literacy, as well as good written and verbal communication skills.
• Six GCSEs (or equivalent; this includes Welsh, Scottish and International equivalents only) at grade B or above in Maths, and grade C or above in English Language, Science (Core and Additional) and two others. If GCSE Science has been taken as single subjects, one of the qualifications must be in Physics.
• Other qualifications, such as an Engineering Diploma, Principle Learning, PEO Level 2 and Pathways to Apprenticeship will also be considered.
Application Deadline: 14/2/2014
Salaries and Benefits
As an Airbus apprentice you will receive an income as soon as you join the programme, as well as the standard benefits package, which is as follows:
Starting salaries are:
- £ 10,048 for Craft apprenticeship
- £ 13,904 for Higher Supply Chain Logistics and ‘Undergraduate’ apprenticeships (sponsored degree)
- 25 days’ paid holiday per year (plus Bank Holidays)
- Pension scheme
- Company share plan
- Annual profit share bonus
- No tuition fees
- Membership of the on-site sports and social club
- Discounted rates on lease cars and driving lessons
Airbus' programme also enables you to experience an international working environment and the opportunity to work and train with other apprentices from Europe.
How to Apply
The application process for the 2014 Apprenticeship Programmes is now open. If you want to apply for an apprenticeship programme at Airbus in the UK click here.