Striving to get more done in the day? The following productivity tips are all from successful companies and entrepreneurs, sharing their insights on how to increase productivity.
From the 33 tips below a few themes emerge:
- Procrastination is a major productivity killer overcome: Oliver Burkeman, Huffington Post, The Daily Muse, Ask Men and Mashable all focus on reducing procrastination as a means to improving productivity.
- Understand your peak performance hours: Fast Company, Forbes, Huffington Post, Gregory Clotti and The New York Times suggest that aligning you to work to your body’s rhythms will increase your productivity.
- Structuring your time is key: According to OPENForum, studies have found that starting work earlier is key to getting more done (use “mind over mattress” as your mantra!). Several companies suggest working in short bursts of time, perhaps using a timer or techniques such as the Pomodoro Technique.
- Know your priorities: Whether that’s reducing your to-do list to a do-able 2 to 3 items, creating routines for important work or finishing your least favourite task first, prioritising is important to productivity. The ability to focus on what matters most is a common theme amongst successful entrepreneurs who understand more than most the importance of maintaining a laser-sharp focus on priorities.
- Eliminate distractions: Martina Navratilova famously said: “I concentrate on concentrating.” For those of us who aren’t tennis players, that means eliminating distractions such as social media, unnecessary meetings and perhaps the biggest productivity killer of all – email. Thankfully there are many technology solutions that will help you reduce distractions. For example, Rescue Time is an app that runs in the background on your computer and monitors how you use your time online.
- Don’t fail to plan. Or you’ll plan to fail: Several of the experts in this infographic highlight the importance of planning your work; whether that means planning your week in advance or making to-do lists. For tools to help you improve your planning, search for ‘productivity tips’ using the search box on the Career Addict website.
There’s a huge amount we can learn from these leaders and entrepreneurs who are at the top of their game. Which of the tips stand out for you? Let me know in the comments section below…