The US government is officially shut down after failing to reach an agreement authorizing sufficient funds for government operations, resulting in more than 800,000 employees being forced to stay home.
This list contains the departments of the government that are affected by the shut down, and the number of employees who have been told to stay home on temporary unpaid leave.
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- 68% of employees will be furloughed
Department of Commerce
- will furlough 87% of 46,420 employees
Departmet of Education
- will furlough 94% of 4,225 employees
Department of Energy
- will furlough 69% of 13,814 employees
Department of HomeLand Security
- will furlough 86% of 231,000 employees
Department of Housing and Urban Development
- more than 96% of staff will be furloughed
Department of Justice
- 85% of employees will stay on the job, but immigration courts have furloughed 70% of their employees (including judges).
Department of Labor
- 82% of 16,304 employees furloughed
Department of Veterans Affairs
- will furlough 14,224 of 333,025 employees
Environmental Protection Agencies
- will furlough 93% of 16,205 employees
Food & Drug Administration
- will furlough 45% of 14,779 employees
Internal Revenue Services
- will furlough 90% of employees
- 98% of staff furloughed
Other departments affected:
- The National Zoo is shutdown
- National Parks and Monuments are closed
- National institutes of health will continue to treat current patients but no new clinical trials will begin
- Food programs such as the Wic Program (which provides low income women that are pregnant, and/or have small children with healthy food) are currently not being funded
Has your job been affected by the Government Shutdown? Comment below.