Your resume is your best friend and your worst enemy as a job seeker. It can help you land your dream job, and it can also give recruiters a reason not to interview you! It is therefore paramount that you spend time and effort creating an impressive, engaging and interesting resume that will not only stand out from the competition, but which will attract the attention of top recruiters.
It is not as easy as it may seem, in fact, creating an impressive resume is one of the most difficult things to achieve as it is often very hard to know what will impress each employer you apply to.
Here are some useful tips and pointers on how to get the most out of your resume in order to secure interviews with your ideal employers:
- Never justify the text on your resume as this may lead to obscure spacing and structure of words
- Your margins should be approximately 2.5 cm with appropriate spacing around headers and sub headers
- Avoid the use of underlines, fancy styling, different fonts throughout and brightly colored or highlighted text
- Create a footer or header with your name, page number and contact details
- Never allow your resume to exceed two pages in length
- Use bullet points to keep a clean and concise structure that is easy to read
- Use Times New Roman or Ariel fonts
- Ensure your resume is computer written and not produced by hand, this will ensure it is neat whilst also making it easier for you to amend and edit for each application you send
- Tailor the content within the skills and work experience sections to match the requirements of the position you are applying for
- Include links to sites, blogs, social networking sites in order to highlight your skills, work produced or positive personality traits
- Use SEO, industry buzzwords and any other searchable keywords that will likely get your resume noticed
- Keep the use of tables, graphs and other formatting styles to a minimum
- You must proof read your entire resume several times to ensure it is void of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
- When attending an interview, be sure to print your resume on top quality paper as first impressions count!
By taking into consideration the abovementioned tips when creating your resume, you can help to boost your chances of gaining the attention of top recruiting companies and of securing interviews with your dream employers.