Figuring out the best place to post your job vacancy is tricky, even for the most experienced recruiters. Knowing your target audience and the exact type of candidate you want to hire will help you significantly in deciding on the best advertising channels for job vacancy.
Posting your job vacancy in an industry journal or magazine is a traditional method used by many recruiters, and although there are many new platforms that recruiters now favour for job posting efficiency, the traditional journal is still used today.
There are many reasons why posting your job vacancy in an industry magazine or trade journal is effective; however, there are also reasons why this traditional recruiting technique has become considered tired and old.
Reasons to post your vacancy in an industry magazine:
- Ability to target specific industry groups and executive level job seekers
- Guarantee of reaching wide readership as many magazines are distributed via subscriptions
- Jobs that are of executive level or which require an industry expert are best suited to such specialized journals
- Industry/trade magazines are usually distributed on a monthly basis where as some are quarterly which means you have a long period of job post exposure
- Job posting in magazines is competitively priced
Reasons not to post your vacancy in an industry magazine:
- You are restricting the exposure of your vacancy to only those who buy the magazine
- Many industry journals are pricey and so you may find that a large majority of industry experts who you want to target, do not even read or subscribe to the journal
- Your job vacancy may be filled within a week, and depending on the subscription of the magazine, you may end up with irrelevant and unnecessary job applications for a month or more
- Posting a job advert in a trade journal can be very costly
- You can reach a wide audience for less expense through the use of social media or online job posting
There are positive and negative points for all forms of job posting channels, and advertising your vacancy with a trade/industry magazine is no different. The viability and success of posting your job in a magazine will depend largely upon the type of job you are recruiting for, your industry of operation and the level of candidates' experience i.e. manager, executive, specialist etc.