Your friends and colleagues may regard you as the happiest person they know; your attitude is positive and you are always smiling and cheery. But underneath, you could be suffering from stress without even realizing it! Even the most vibrant and laid-back individuals can suffer from stress, especially workplace stress, and there is no shame in admitting it.
Like with many things, workplace stress can go undetected for a long period of time, and if not treated, it can have a seriously negative impact on your career and personal life.
Here are some of the most common symptoms of workplace stress:
- Depressive feelings
- Negative outlook and feelings about thing
- Regular feeling of self disappointment
- Lack of motivation
- Irregular mood swings
- Heightened emotions such as being more tearful, aggressive and sensitivity
- Lack of concentration
- Memory failure
Other signs to be aware of
Whilst you may not exert many (or even any) of the above stress related signs, you should also be aware that changes to your normal behavior that may seem irrelevant, could actually be an underlying sign that you are suffering from a degree of workplace induced stress.
Examples of underlying signs include:
- Changes to your normal sleeping patterns
- Changes to your usual diet
- Mood swings
- Increased intake of alcohol or nicotine
- Changes to your looks (thinning hair, grey skin, breakouts, mouth ulcers)
- Changes to your regular attendances at work (taking ore days off, arriving late and leaving early)
If you notice any of these signs take a look a breath and make sure that you are not causing yourself undue stress at work.