As careers industries constantly get redefined by the complexity of market gaps, new niches emerge to improve quality in terms of specialization in the provision of particular goods and services. Let’s take the hospitality industry for instance. The recent high demand for body relaxation services has made some hospitality experts specialise in this niche by offering services such as spa treatment, steam baths and sauna, massage and so forth. This industry niche currently has many competitors particularly in tourist destinations. And of course, every competitor wants to be recognised as the pioneer of this niche in terms of world class quality service delivery. But this can’t happen unless your voice is heard, recognised and respected in your niche. So, how can you stay proactive in your career industry niche?
#1 Boost your Niche Presence through Smart and Discreet Advertising
Gone are the days when newspaper and TV ads were all that counted when it came to establishing presence in an industry’s niche. Remember, you’re dealing with a specific group of customers here. Therefore, as clientele tastes become more specified and sophisticated, more is demanded on your part to make your presence felt to the core:
- Sponsor programmes and events such as charities, expos, competitions and other worthy causes to be felt and recognised.
- Sharpen your expertise to offer up-to-date solutions in seminars, conferences and TV debates.
- Boost your online presence to be recognised as a niche pioneer and a force to be reckoned with on a global scale.
#2 Be a Consistent Innovator and Trendsetter
You can’t afford to sit pretty especially if your niche has plenty of competitors. Remember, you’re trying to be recognised as the pioneer of your niche’s competitive edge:
- Though you may start with the usual products and services in your niche, don’t settle for them in the long term. Be bold enough to stretch your innovative tentacles into the untapped niche branches.
- Constantly redefine your products to avoid monotonous presence and thus enhance your indispensable reputation.
- Know your clientele’s age group to deliver trends that acclimatise to their tastes and preferences.
#3 Avoid Niche Multitasking to reduce Risk of Diluting Brand Reputation
In the current tough economic times, many companies have resulted to niche multitasking in order to keep themselves afloat. As noble as it may sound, multitasking does have its downsides:
- Multitasking increases chances of distributing resources thus compromising on initial quality.
- Your attention to your niche will be compromised and thus you’re likely to be overtaken by niche competitors as customers ditch your camp for your more focused and proficient competitors.
#4 Be Efficient in Responding to and Addressing Emerging Customer Challenges
Not all clients are the same. While some are occasional visitors, others are constant big spenders and you can’t afford to lose them. Most businesses actually lose clients due to their lack of competitive edge in addressing emerging customer challenges and demands. However, the following pointers can alleviate this situation:
- Be courteous to clientele no matter how unrealistic their demands are or how offensive they might seem. Even the worst of foes can at times make the best of allies. - If you can’t solve some emerging challenges at the moment, offer an impressive incentive that’s hard to resist in order to keep the client glued to your services.
- Take responsibility for obvious error and offer a convincing compensation package to avoid any inconveniencing court cases.
#5 Help struggling Competitors Once in a While to Encourage Fair and Friendly Competition
In the German Bundesliga, the best football teams in the league always go head to head in competing for the Bundesliga title. When Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund clash, the entire German football world directs its attention towards them. In the limelight, these German giants seem to be the worst enemies. But what people don’t know is that there was a time when Borussia Dortmund was in financial difficulty and Bayern Munich offered a helping hand to keep their opponents going:
- Niche opponents enhance healthy competition by provoking us to stay on the edge of our seats. This makes us realise that we can’t afford the comfort zone and thus we’re likely to keep giving the very best in our industry niche.
- Offering a helping hand to a niche opponent actually reduces chances of rogue competitive antics. In fact, in your moment of weakness, the niche opponent is likely to pause and offer to help instead of taking advantage of your vulnerability.
- Helping niche opponents also gives them an impression of the standard quality that’s expected of them irrespective of their ranking in the niche industry.
- Ultimately, you’ll be held in high regard for having shown outstanding maturity.
It’s amazing how new career industry niches keep cropping up by the day. In fact, I can confidently argue that niche-oriented entrepreneurship is the main key to conquering unemployment for the long haul. All that’s required is for entrepreneurs to be substantially educated on the benefits of staying proactive in their respective career industry niches.