When working in a professional environment, it is important to observe correct office etiquette and portray a professional attitude. In order to build and maintain a positive workplace environment, individuals should try and exercise a professional approach towards their colleagues and their work. Through this, individuals are able to ensure that they practice good work ethic and reduce number is difficulties regarding unprofessionalism.
In order to stay professional in your workplace, there are a number of factors that need to be considered. Additionally, certain protocol and rules must be adhered by to ensure that the company’s image of professionalism is maintained. The following are some of the traits that you should practice in order to exude professionalism in your workplace;
- Dress code: wearing appropriate clothing attire is vital as it shows your employer that you adhere to the company’s high standards of professionalism. Wearing short skirts and t-shirts is unacceptable as they have a negative reflection of your attitude towards work.
- Language: this is a factor that is often undermined by work colleagues; you need to remember that you are in a professional environment and keep the language you use free of profanities and offensive terms, especially racial, political and religious terms.
- Manners: always be polite to your colleagues and make sure that you exercise correct email and telephone etiquette. You are representing the company whilst you are working therefore this should reflect in your speaking and writing manner.
- Teamwork: any professional environment will require you to be working in a team, so to make this process easier you should respect your team members and remember to pull your weight – finishing tasks assigned on time and to the relevant standards.
- Competence: an individual is offered employment on the basis that they have the ability and the skills to complete given tasks in a professional manner. Show your employer your skills by being competent and being self-sufficient.
It is important that an individual tries and complies by the above mentioned traits as they will assist them in conveying a positive and professional approach to work.