Have you ever thought of an idea that would make your job duties more efficient? Thinking of new ways to become more proficient in your work is called job crafting. This concept is a powerful tool which can allow career-minded individuals to take control over their jobs. At the same time, they create the opportunity to wow management with their assertive attitude. Of course, not every job can be crafted. However, there are many jobs that are flexible. The majority of employers want to see that employees are taking the initiative to become better professionals. This article will address how to utilize job crafting to shape your job.
Steps How to Use Job Crafting to Shape Your Job
There are four basic action steps that a career-minded individual can take to shape his or her job. Basically the actions are to decide, evaluate, act and review. A detailed description of each step is listed below.
1. Decide on the Change You Want to See
Now the point is not to change your job description and what your employer expects you to do each day. However, the idea is to find ways that you can shape your job regarding the following three areas. Remember that you need to run your ideas by your manager before implementing them.
- Job Skills Content – Look at the way youve been performing your daily job duties. You want to find ways to improve on how you are getting the work done. Cultivate new methods toward completing your tasks. Basically, you are trying to utilize your strengths to the best of your ability. To ascertain your strengths, you can check out this exercise Reflected Best Self™
- Relationships at Work – Learn how to cultivate professional relationships with coworkers. Making an effort to do this will foster more fulfilling connections with others. If you are in a managerial position, take the time to mentor new employees or team members.
- Find your Purpose – Shaping your job also means that you are trying to find your purpose at your job and how it relates to your professional future. Changing your perspective on the impact your work has at the office will help you to be more focused as you work daily to accomplish your goals.
2. Evaluate the Impact of Shaping your Job
Shaping your job will impact you and your work environment. That is why you need to evaluate how your job shaping will create changes for you, your customers, clients, managers, coworkers and the entire office as a whole. The best scenario is that job crafting done right will create a win-win situation and positively affect all the factors in the workplace. For example, you could volunteer to help train new hires in your department. This is the perfect opportunity to showcase your ability to motivate and encourage coworkers. The management will receive a more efficiently trained workforce. Remember the following points when job crafting.
- Dont create situations that are a win for you and a loss for someone else
- Show management that your goal is to cultivate win-win situations at the office
- Job crafting must be compatible with the work environment to be effective
If your projected job crafting changes dont make the work environment better, then you need to re-evaluate and think of new ideas. Remember that changes to your own job tasks can have an impact on other people in the workplace.
3. Act on the Positive Job Crafting Ideas
This step involves putting the job crafting ideas into action. The important factor is to deflect the learned helplessness syndrome. In this type of phenomenon, people have become accustomed to indifference and think that no matter what they contribute, no results or change will come. (Source: MindTools.com) However, with job crafting you get the chance to overcome this syndrome and make a better situation in the workplace.
- You can become more focused on your job
- Making changes will help you to feel valued and productive
No matter what changes take place, always remember that the outcomes of your job crafting decisions must have a positive impact on you and the entire office.
4. Review the Job Crafting Process
This step is as important as the rest of the process. As the progression continues, you need to review the job crafting ideas that have been implemented. There may be some items that youll need to adjust. Then continue cultivating new changes that will make your life in the office more efficient and productive. Make certain that the following is true.
- Youve seen improvement in the completion of your job tasks
- Your manager, supervisor and boss are all pleased with your progress
- Your clients and customers are satisfied with customer service
- Your colleagues are content with professional relationships at work
If all of the above-mentioned factors have fallen into place, then your job crafting ideas have taken root and they can become good habits.
Benefits of Utilizing Job Crafting at the Office
When it is done properly, job crafting can provide multiple benefits. The following is a listing of those benefits.
- Receiving increased satisfaction in the work you do
- Renewed enthusiasm for your approach to work
- Achieving personal development and growth
- Possible career advancement opportunities
Job crafting has many benefits and if you follow the simple steps outlined in this article, the procedure will be easier. The process begins by deciding what you want to change. Then evaluating how the projected changes will impact your work environment. The action steps should always cultivate a positive change in the workplace. The process is not complete until you have reviewed the entire procedure and made any necessary adjustments. Dont forget to run all job crafting ideas by the management first.
Photo Credit: careerealism.com
Creative Commons License