It is easy to get stuck in life; to plateau and move sideways instead of advancing. Often when we hit a long dry spell in our careers, we settle for good enough allowing life to pull us and happen to us instead of being intentional.
When we get plateaued in life, it is important to change things up. If we continue to operate in the same manner we will continue to get the same results. Get unstuck in your career by making sure that you are not falling into any of these 5 career mistakes.
1. You stopped learning. Learning needs to be built into our lives. The world is in constant motion. To keep up and get ahead, you need to learn at least one new thing a day. Most people stop advancing and stop growing. The reality is that when growth stops in our minds we stop growing professionally. If you want to advance in your career, you need to increase your growth learning curve.
2. You have self-limiting beliefs. Our minds can limit us more than we could ever imagine. Self-limiting beliefs stop us from even trying for a position. Our thoughts stop us from asking for more responsibility. To overcome our self-limiting beliefs, we must learn to move when we aren’t ready and are afraid.
3. You aren’t forming connections. Who you know will help you advance your career more than anything else. Once you have conquered your inner thoughts, you need connections to help you to get your foot in the door. Many companies will move you to the front of the line when you know someone within the organization. Connections are everything and they must be treated as such. Form a list of people that you are going to connect with and take them out for a meal. Never miss weddings, birthdays, or any other celebrations. You must build connecting relationships into your life to advance your career.
4. You settled. This is usually a byproduct of a lack of belief. You need to get your heart involved in the process. When we know how to advance in our careers, but we are not doing it, the heart is uninvolved in the process. To get your heart back into it, reconnect with your “why”. Bruce Lee said, “Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.” You will break through to the next stage in your career when your heart and head are connected.
5. You are waiting to be told. If you are waiting to be directed and dictated, you are putting a ceiling on your career. A better way is to operate as if you have the position you want. If you operate like this you will be rewarded. Companies are looking for great people who are self-starters. This is something that we know yet don’t do. Move without being told to in order to advance in your career.
These are just 5 possibilities to get you unstuck in your career. Focus on growth and you will grow. The main thing is to keep trying new things until you get unstuck.
photot by: Fabio Ibrahim Flicker via Flickr