When focusing on the person we are, there are many factors involved. Society, parents, and friends all shape the person we become. However, it’s important that you have an understanding of your true self. When you have a more thorough understanding of your true self, you have greater control over your future and overall life.
Your identity can change throughout life, as you’re exposed to new experiences. In order to discover who you are, you need to be more self-aware. When you do not fully understand yourself, you are not functioning as a whole person. When you discover your true self, you can live your life accordingly. You can then align your life, in order to meet your personal needs.
What You Can Discover About Yourself
You may be wondering where to start. Finding your true self may seem like a challenging task. Before you take the steps towards discovering yourself, you should be conscious of various areas. Start by focusing on these aspects:
- Your Core Values: These are the things that matter most to you. Take a look at your values and how important they are to you. Also, focus on WHY they’re important.
- Your Passions: What do you actively pursue in your life? Are there certain hobbies or activities that bring excitement to your daily life? When your passions align with your values, you experience enhanced internal harmony.
- Know Your Strengths and Weaknesses: What are your natural skills and abilities? Of these, which would you like to nurture? It’s important to develop your strengths. It’s your strengths that make you unique, so express these. In terms of weaknesses, there may be areas in which you’d like to actively improve.
- Focus on Goals: Have you set any goals that you’d like to achieve? If not, focus on the direction you’d like to take. When setting goals, you need to have high levels of clarity. When you understand your true self, you can move towards a direction that will benefit you and your overall life. These goals will allow you to achieve ultimate happiness and success.
5 Steps to Discover Your True Self
When you actively seek self-awareness, you can discover your true self. By taking the following five steps, you will have a better understanding of who you truly are. This will allow you to take control of your future.
Step One: Spend Time with Yourself
Quality time with yourself, allows you to explore your consciousness. You can gain insight as an individual, focusing on the way you perceive the world. While alone, you can ask yourself vital questions.
Being alone will not provide you with all the answers, but it will allow you to understand the way you feel about what is occurring in your life. Reflecting on various aspects of your life is important when discovering yourself. Basically, get away from all the noise, pressure, and media. Focus on who YOU are.
Step Two: Examine and Challenge
How we think, is often influenced by what we’ve been taught. Our beliefs and view of ourselves, are often an inaccurate perception. We don’t often take the time to analyze who we are. In order to discover your true self, you need to dig a little deeper.
When you think about certain beliefs, what do you truly think of them? Despite what you’ve been taught to believe, it can be beneficial to challenge certain areas. When you do not focus on your own personal beliefs and feelings, you are essentially living based on others’ ideas. This can create distortion within your life.
Step Three: Explore and Experience
Many individuals conform to an identity without experiencing much beyond their boundaries. When you explore, you can discover so much about yourself. Without having these varied experiences, you may never discover certain aspects of your true self.
The only way to discover your true self is to get out there and experiment. See what you learn about yourself. Sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone to make these vital discoveries. When you keep a more open mind, you can make some personal realizations.
Step Four: Ask Yourself Questions
Part of your self-awareness begins by asking yourself a variety of questions. One day, sit down and write out a list of questions that will help you narrow down your interests, skills, and accomplishments. Ask yourself some of the following questions:
- What do I enjoy the most?
- What are some of my greatest accomplishments and how did I achieve those positive results?
- If there were no limits, what would I do with my life?
- What are some of my greatest fears?
- What are my most unique qualities?
- What am I most grateful for?
- Who is making most of my decisions? (Myself? Those around me? My circumstances?)
When you begin making a list of these questions and really putting some thought into your answers, you can discover a lot. You begin to focus on areas that you enjoy, while improving areas that are lacking.
Step Five: Embrace Change and Maintain Those Changes
When you do make certain discoveries, make sure you adjust your life accordingly. It is important that you embrace positive changes, making your life more meaningful. When you embrace these changes, you will continue to discover more and more. Life is a journey, full of new experiences. These experiences help shape your true self.
If you feel as though you’re lacking a connection with your true self, practice some of the above tips. These will allow you to experience new things, which will in turn encourage your true beliefs and thoughts. Once you discover your true self, you can live your life in a more positive manner.
Image source: iStock