Within the following article we identify the 5 most commonly asked questions regarding employment within the sustainable energy sector. We will take a look at job categories, ranges in salary, education and training and where to find the largest recruiters.
#1 What kind of new jobs are there?
There are various energy jobs range from consulting, to fuel cells, and all else in-between.
- Energy Efficiency
- Solar Power
- Biofuels and Bioenergy
- Wind Energy
- Waste to Energy
- Combined Heat and Power (CHP)
- Electrical Energy Storage
- Carbon Capture and Storage CCS
- Thermal Energy Storage
- Energy Policy
- Fuel Cells
- Hydro Power
- Green Transport
- Tidal Energy
- Wave Power
- Cleaner Coal
#2 What kind of salaries are available?
The job sector provides a broad erratic range of salaries across the roles, with the highest percentage of jobs available in the salary band between £30,000 - £40,000 in the fields of:
- Project Manager - Renewables Delivery
- Service and Commissioning Steam Field Engineer
- Design and Technical Engineer
The lower end of the salary spectrum sees an annual pay of £10,000 - £15,000 with regards to roles such as:
- Level 7 Turbine technician
- Project Engineer
- Lead Bead Technician
However, salaries stated to be £90,000 - £100,000 and over include positions such as:
- Petroleum System Geologist
- HSE Manager
- Senior Interpretation Geophysicist
#3 Can I do a quick course to help with my application?
Absolutely, a range of renewable energy courses are readily available and all come with variable costs, commonly found courses include:
- Green: Domestic Electrical Solar PV Installer: 23 Day Course (£2892 Inc VAT & Fees)
- BPEC Solar PV Course Installation: 8 Days Course (£1195 Inc VAT & Fees)
- Level 14 Solar PV Maintenance: 5 Day Course (£720 Inc VAT & Fees)
- BPEC Solar Thermal Hot Water:3 Day Course (£350 Inc VAT & Fees)
- C&G Electric Vehicle Charging: 2 Day Course (£350 Inc VAT & Fees)
- BPEC Solar Thermal Hot Water course: 1 Day Course (£195 Inc VAT & Fees)
#4 Are there university courses directly aimed at renewable energy?
Yes, qualifications directly focused on renewable energy include:
BSc/MEng Renewable Energy which includes expertise in marine renewables, wind energy, photovoltaic and solar thermal technologies, biofuels, electrical power and networks, energy policy and environmental impacts. The course also includes industrial work placements and industrial support from key companies in the industry.
Renewable Energy Engineering MSc/PgDip/PgCert aims to deliver qualified engineers of the highest standard, capable of contributing significantly to the increased demand for renewable energy technologies. The course advances skills required to design, optimise and evaluate the technical and economic viability of renewable energy schemes.
#5 Where should I go online to find a job?
Online resources used to find UK based careers in the renewable energy sector include:
- Renewable Energy Jobs: http://www.renewableenergyjobs.com/
- NREL: http://www.nrel.gov/employment/job_openings.html
- Allen & York: http://www.allen-york.com/renewable-energy-jobs
- Renewable Northwest: http://www.rnp.org/node/careers-renewable-energy
- Renewable Energy World: http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/careers
Should you choose to adopt a “blue sky thinking” route, an alternative approach could be to contact local recruitment consultants based in or around your region that specialise directly in renewable energy careers. Discuss roles which are realistically achievable and available for applications tomorrow, and get what you need to be successful in your application.