If your interests are fashion and make-up and you are willing to help customers make the most of their appearance, a career choice that you may consider besides becoming a beautician is that of a beauty consultant
In order to become a beauty consultant, it is important that you possess the following:
- Outgoing personality
- Friendly disposition
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Great customer service skills
- Appealing body language
- Experience in retail, sales or customer service
- Networking skills
- Organisational skills
Education and Training
There are no formal qualifications required to work as a Beauty Consultant. However for a steep growth up the career graph, it is advantageous to have a beauty therapy background. When you are employed as a beauty consultant, you usually receive on-the-job training. You may also get an opportunity to attend short induction courses at a company training centre.
Qualifications that may help you in your career include the following:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Beauty Consultancy Services
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Consultancy
- VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Cosmetic Make-up and Beauty Consultancy.
You may enroll for any of the available web-based training and correspondence courses on becoming a beauty consultant. Formal certification can be gained through the Association of Image Consultants (AICI).
In this job, you are entrusted with various responsibilities such as to:
- Advise clients on the best products to compliment their appearance
- Understand the issues and details of the skin, nail, and hair and also about cosmetics and perfumes.
- Keeping abreast with new launches of products, fragrances, color ranges and product promotions
- Sell beauty products and manage transactions
- Conduct various demonstrations
- Do makeovers
- Restock products
- Meet sales targets
As a Beauty Consultant, you can both work independently as well as find employment in
- Department stores
- Cosmetics Company
- Skincare Company
- Image consulting firms
- Cruise Liners
- Airport Terminals
- Hotels and boutique resorts
For those wanting to make it big in their careers, there are numerous opportunities to become senior consultants, area managers or area sales representatives.
Full-time retail beauty consultants generally work between 37 and 40 hours a week. You are also expected to do some weekend and evening work as a part of your job routine. You may find work opportunities for part-time and flexible hours. If employed in a store, you work in large stores which are busy, noisy and full of lights.
The work involves a lot of physical movement and you are on your feet almost all the time. In this job you usually wear a company uniform, such as a suit or a white coat. You would also use and wear the cosmetics you are selling and promoting.
As per nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk, the salary of a beauty consultant can be from around £12,000 to £13,000 a year. Experienced consultants can earn £19,000 or more. There are various commissions available as well when you sell products and meet your targets.
In order to carve a niche in your profession, you may consider mastering the following:
- Study beauty
- Keep abreast of the latest makeup, skincare and hair trends
- Research training programs and courses in depth
- Maintain high standards of personal hygiene and always look your best
If you are committed in providing your customers a quality service, possess an expert knowledge and can help your clients make the best of their appearance, this can be a right career decision of your life.