If you have a passion for computers and like fixing things, you may consider becoming a computer service and repair technician.
A computer service and repair technician is a person who is entrusted with the responsibility to install, maintain and repair computer systems and equipment.
As a computer service and repair technician, you may be expected to perform various tasks such as:
- Servicing computers, printers, scanners and other computer peripherals
- Installing new IT systems and testing of systems
- Upgrading existing hardware and software
- Visiting home users to set up new systems or fix faulty systems
- Preparing cost estimates for new installations
- Training users/ staff to use equipment correctly and safely
- Carrying out various administrative tasks
Working Hours and Conditions
Your working hours are usually normal office hours during week days.
If you are employed as a field technician, your job involves travelling to visit clients on site. If you are working in support department, you are based at an office but you may spend time with staff at workstations.
Here are the indicative salary ranges for Computer service and repair technicians:
£14,000 to £17,000 a year
£18,000 to £25,000 a year
Up to £30,000 a year
To become a computer service and repair technician, you don’t need any formal qualification but you must possess a great working knowledge of computer hardware and software. It is advantageous, though, to have a computer maintenance qualification.
Various courses that may help include:
- Level 1 ICT Systems Support – PC Maintenance
- Level 2 Certificate/ Diploma in ICT Systems Support
- Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
- Level 2 Certificate/ Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles for IT Professionals
These courses aim at teaching you maintenance and repair of IT equipment, hardware and software installation, basic networking, health and safety, etc.
You may also consider an Apprenticeships scheme with an IT company or a technical support team in a larger company.
To move up the career ladder in this job, you need to continually enhance your skills and knowledge in the field. You may consider working towards various industry qualifications such as:
- Level 3 Certificate/ Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles for IT Professionals
- Level 4 Diploma for ICT Professionals
- CompTIA A+ Certificate
- Chartered Institute of IT professional qualifications
You may refer to National Skills Academy for IT for professional networking, training and various IT resources.
For planning your future career paths in this field, you may refer to Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA)
Skills and Interests Needed
To become a computer service and repair technician, you need to demonstrate the following:
- Deep understanding and practical knowledge of operating systems, hardware and commonly used software
- Excellent customer service skills
- Impeccable communication skills
- Patience and good organisational skills
- Be able to meet deadlines
- Health and safety awareness
- Interest in latest IT developments
As a computer service and repair technician, you may find employment with the civil service, the NHS, businesses and organisations, schools and colleges, IT manufacturers and IT support contractors.
After gaining considerable experience, it may be possible for you to get promoted to the role of a senior technician within a department. You may set up your own company, provide services to businesses and people. You may also consider moving into helpdesk support, network engineering, IT security, database administration, training or technical sales.
Lastly, this job involves a lot of technical know-how and demands an expertise to be successful in order to earn well.