Do you know what influences you to say ‘yes’ when other people ask you to do something? How do they manage to persuade you? Apparently, it turns out that there is a science to how you are persuaded, and becoming familiar with the process can definitely help you become more effective at work or in your life in general!
This video, narrated by Dr. Robert Cialdini and Steve Martin, explains the science behind persuasion, providing some useful tips in terms of how you tend to make decisions and factors that guide your thinking. In order to do that, the two researchers go over and explain the six university principles of persuasion:
- Reciprocity – obligation to give when you receive.
- Scarcity – people want more of those things there are less of.
- Authority – people follow knowledgeable experts.
- Consistency – looking for commitments that can be made.
- Liking – people ‘say’ yes to those they like.
- Consensus – people take examples from others.
Check out this video if you want to learn more about the science of persuasion and become a more effective persuader!