Can you imagine yourself working for the most popular upmarket department store in the UK? With a selling space of over 330 departments, Harrods constitutes the biggest department store in Europe! I mean, who wouldn’t want to work with Harrods? Good news is that the company currently welcomes school and university students as well as graduates to join their team. So, if you are interested in becoming an intern at Harrods check out the following tips and learn how you can get the internship of your dreams!
Harrods runs various ‘future talent’ programs that are intended to suit the needs of each individual including School Leavers and The Harrods Graduate Programme. Recruiting takes place during September and spring and lasts up to three months. What’s great about the program is that by the end of your internship you can apply for a more permanent role with the company.
The placement offers the following:
- Support, guidance and feedback for your professional portfolio.
- Pay defined by an hourly rate.
- Join a course that can boost your leadership and management skills.
- Unique insight into Harrods luxury retail environment.
As far as the pay is concerned, Glassdoor provides an overview on Harrods UK salaries, stating that a Sales Associate earns up to £8.82 per hour which means about £19,571 annually.
Other programs include:
- The School Leaver Programme which is intended for graduates and lasts up to 18 months.
- The Graduate programme that offers work experience and opportunities to attend seminars, workshops and coaching sessions for a successful career in retail.
- Work placements which last up to 1 year.
While job-specific skills vary according to your area of studies, the following transferable skills are described as essential if you want to be an intern at Harrods:
- Organised individual.
- Self-motivated and confident individual.
- Excellent communication skills.
- An interest in luxury retail.
- Individual initiative and teamwork.
The interview with Harrods
The best way to get an interview with Harrods is to apply online. According to Glassdoor, 81% who got the interview applied online via the official Harrods website as all available placement opportunities will be advertised under the search and apply section of the site.
Previous applicants found that the interview with Harrods has an average level of difficulty of 2.5 out of 5, while 63% applicants rated their interview experience as positive, 16% neutral and 19%negative.
Learn more about Harrods
Did you know Harrods motto is “Omnia Omnibus Ubique” which means “All Things for All People, Everywhere”? If you want to get that internship, it might be a good idea to follow Harrod’s LinkedIn profile and stay up to date with recent developments, upcoming events and job openings and connect with important people from the company.
If you specialise in any of these subjects - retail management, sales and retail, marketing and PR, customer services, creativity and design, food services and hospitality or accounting and finance, Harrods is the place for you to work. Make sure you never miss out a job opportunity searching for available jobs at Careers at Harrods. Finally, check out this video to see how it feels to work at Harrods!