As one of the largest fast food chains in the world, a job with McDonald’s isn’t only for teenagers and those with restaurant experience. The truth is, McDonald’s frequently has openings for a variety of positions, such as:
- customer service reps
- IT professionals
- lawyers, and more
Online Application Process
To start your online application with McDonald’s, visit the company’s career webpage. If you’re interested in a local restaurant position, you can fill out an application in person and follow up with the location’s manager. However, online applications are faster and convenient, and you can apply for a job online regardless of the position you’re interested in.
Visit McDonald’s.com and click "Careers". Select either restaurant or corporate opportunities, and then search for jobs in your desired location.
The application has two major sections, and it takes approximately 30 minutes from start to finish, so plan accordingly. The first section is fairly simple and you’re required to provide basic information about yourself, such as your name, address, date of birth, education and employment history.
After completing this section, you’ll move onto the assessment part of the application, which has about 40 questions. The company uses the assessment to better understand you as a person and worker. It’s basically how recruiters determine whether you’re a good match for the McDonald’s family. A sample question might include: "While you are working, you overhear a pair of coworkers on break. The two are talking about another team member because she works too slowly. What would you be MOST likely to do?"
Do not rush through the assessment section of the application. Read each question and carefully consider the best responses. Unfortunately, a wrong answer can ruin your chances of an interview.
Things You Should Know About Getting Hired
The online assessment is just the beginning of the process. If a recruiter feels that you’re a good match, he may schedule a phone interview to further discuss opportunities with the company, or you might have an interview at a nearby restaurant or corporate office. Things to keep in mind include:
- You must be at least 15 to 18 years old to work for McDonald’s (based on the position)
- Background checks and drug screenings are part of the pre-employment process
- McDonald’s does not provide application status updates automatically; you’ll need to follow up with the manager or HR department
- The company prefers hiring dedicated, honest and dependable people
- If you’re completing an online application, the website will time-out after 20 minutes of inactivity, and you’ll have to start the process over
- Unfortunately, you cannot submit one application for multiple locations or positions. For each job or location, you’ll need to fill out a new application
HR and local managers are waiting to hear from you, and the sooner you fill out your online application, the sooner you can schedule an interview. Of course, successfully passing the assessment doesn’t guarantee a job. You also need strong interview skills, and you need to be professional. For example, do not arrive to the interview late, speak professionally and wear business attire (even if you’re interviewing for a kitchen job).
Sourced Image: Flickr