Guest posting is a form of marketing that involves posting content on other people’s sites. As a musician, this could be your music videos, audio clips, your opinions on topics in your genre, posts about your experiences, your music merchandise or anything else which readers would find useful. Posting content on established blogs and sites in your genre can be a very effective strategy for promoting your music.
Here are some of the benefits of guest posting on other people’s sites:
- It allows you to connect with more fans of your genre and thus get more exposure for your music. If they like what they hear, they might end up becoming your fans as well.
- When you write for different sites and blogs, people begin to perceive you as an expert in your music genre. As a result, they are likely to follow you to hear more of what you have to say. This means more exposure for your music.
- Guest posting is a great way of boosting your site’s Google rankings. The more links you have pointing to your site, the higher Google ranks your pages. Being ranked highly will increase the chances of getting more visitors on your site.
So, why would anyone allow you to post your opinions, videos or music on their site?
- They get free content: Many website owners understand the importance of keeping their readers engaged with regular updates. However, many of them don’t have the time to create content by themselves. If you are willing to provide original and quality content for such sites, the website owners or webmasters are likely to accept your offer.
- It could attract more traffic: Guest posting will not only attract traffic to your site, but also to the site or blog you post on. This is especially the case when you promote the guest post to your audience. If you have a significant number of followers, let the website owner now that you will share the content with your audience as well. This means a mutually beneficial partnership.
How do you go about finding sites to guest post on?
Take time to carry out some research to find popular sites in your genre that accept guest posts. For instance, if your style is rock, you can search using terms such as ‘rock writers wanted’, ‘rock contributors wanted’ or ‘rock guest posting’. Once you have a list of several sites, send each of them an email mentioning your interest in guest posting. If you’ve written similar content before, remember to include a few links to your published works. Alternatively, you could contact the website owners through their social media pages.
The key to success in marketing through guest posting is consistency. Submitting at least one guest post per week will keep your readers engaged and create more exposure for your music. Most sites that accept guest posts have guidelines concerning details such as topic, word count, structure and topic. Be sure to adhere to these instructions.
Image source: Infocus Photography