Making cold calls is not for the faint of heart. Having to deal with an awkward call filled with silence is even worse. However, there are some simple ways that you can learn how to keep calm during an awkward cold call. This article will discuss some tips and provide useful resources to bolster you for this useful marketing technique.
Simple Ways to Learn How to Keep Calm While Cold Calling
Step # 1: Personalize and Internalize Your Script
In regard to cold calling, nothing is worse for the prospect than when the “cold caller” sounds as if he or she is reading verbatim from a script. Of course, a script is quite necessary when you’re in the beginning stages of preparation. However, if you don’t personalize and internalize the script, you will experience awkward cold calls.
- Take time to prepare and understand what message you need to get across.
- If a script has already been written for you, take time to personalize and internalize it.
- Make the necessary adjustments and get feedback from supervisors or colleagues.
- Keep the script with you when you make the cold calls and refer to it when lost.
- Cold Calling Scripts offers a free 37 page PDF eBook with scripts on cold calling.
- Keith Rosen is one of the world’s top experts on cold calling and he wrote a useful book: The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cold-Calling.
Step # 2: Don’t Fear the Process of Cold Calling
I am a marketing consultant and have been involved in sales for many years. As an introverted individual, I feared the process during my beginning stages in cold calling. My skills are still a work in progress. However, by beginning to stop fearing the process, I began to have the ability to keep calm during those awkward calls.
- Remember you will be speaking with people, not “prospects”.
- Readjust your perspective to start to embrace the process.
- Expect to be treated rudely at times so it won’t be a surprise.
- Expect to also have some good experiences in your conversations.
- Will Turner, Founder and President of Dancing Elephants Achievement Group, wrote an article on conquering our fear of cold calling. He creates and teaches sales magnetism programs to sales people.
- Wendy Weiss is another cold calling expert who offers a free eBook: Cold Calling 911 where she states that it’s our beliefs about cold calling that makes us ineffective.
Step # 3: Let Go of the Bad Cold Calling Experiences
As I went through my own journey, I had to learn to let the negative experiences go just as water rolls off a duck’s back. If I hung on too long to a negative experience during a cold call that would negatively affect my success as a marketer. The process was not easy in the beginning. However, I needed to change my perspective.
- Change your view point and see the process through new eyes.
- Know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will succeed.
- Find a support system with your supervisor, colleagues or mentor.
- Continually take the time to decompress and re-evaluate your process.
- Mr. Cold Call is a worldwide recognized author, speaker and cold calling expert. He offers these A - Z Cold Calling Tips on his website.
- You can also sign up for a free weekly e-zine on cold calling tips from Mr. Cold Call’s website.
Handling an awkward cold call in the right manner will grow and develop you as a professional in your field. If you practice the simple steps outlined in this article, you will be able to overcome the obstacles of handling such calls. Work on personalizing and internalizing your script. Don’t allow fear to overwhelm you. Whatever happens, don’t let the bad experiences in cold calling negatively impede your progress.
Photo Credit: marketing-for-business