Livescribe 3 Smartpen is a new groundbreaking smartpen that transfers handwritten and audio notes straight to your iOS device via bluetooth. The U.S. technology firm Livescribe has perfectly integrated traditional school writing into smartphone technology, dramatically changing the way people capture, retrieve and share what they write and hear.
In brief, the smartpen enables users to:
- Write on Livescribe dot paper and watch everything appear instantly on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch devices with Bluetooth Smart wireless technology.
- Use the built-in microphones on a tablet or smartphone to create interactive "pencasts" that synchronize recorded audio with written notes.
- Convert handwriting to text to create tasks, reminders, contacts and calendar events.
- Add photos and text memos to their feed to provide more context and clearly communicate details.
- Share and send PDF’s of their notes, photographs and diagrams through Mail, Messages, Evernote, Dropbox and other apps.
How does it work?
An infrared camera on the pen tracks the notes written in a Livescribe notebook and transfers that content to Livescribe+. Once the information is captured on your device, imported handwritten notes can be converted into digital text with just a single swipe. You can then transfer your notes into different apps, either creating reminders, dates in your calendar or even emails to friends and colleagues. Bear in mind that the app is only compatible with iOS devices, but an Android app is currently under development.
What’s more, the Livescribe 3 spartpen’s lithium ion battery enables the user to capture data for up to 14 hours, and the app shouldn’t drain your smartphone’s battery life too much. But even when the smartpen is ‘dead’, it can still be used as an regular pen to just note things down on paper. Once the smartpen is recharged and connected back to the app, the notes will automatically import themselves.
The Livescribe 3 comes with a micro-USB charging cable, a Livescribe Starter notepad and an ink cartridge. The product is expected to be released in November and will be available in Canada, Europe, Asia and other international markets, with prices starting at $149.95 (£93).
On the whole, the Livescribe 3 smartpen is an amazing writing instrument with an incredibly elegant design that guarantees a smooth writing experience for serious note takers such as business professionals and students. It can be an amazingly handy tool at a work meeting, seminars and conferences where you have to take handwritten notes and then use them to create reminders, contacts and calendar appointments or copy and paste into other apps.
Livescribe’s new smartpen will surely make your notes more useful by efficiently integrating them with the rest of your digital world, and more specifically with your favourite apps. How would Livescribe 3 smartpen improve your note taking experience? Please share your views and comments.