Someone once told me: “Why try to invent average, when you can copy genius”. A powerful statement, and one that brings me to the discovery of the topic of this post. I’ve read many self-development books on successful people and have learned much from the techniques and ideas I have absorbed through my reading. However, I wanted to see if there was one common DAILY habit of the world’s most highly successful people.
I researched many well-known, highly respected, successful, and wealthy people and again and again I found ONE thing in common with all of them. One daily habit which every single one of them prioritized as part of their daily routine. Meditation.
What exactly does Meditation do for the Wealthy and Successful?
Believe or not, Meditation is proven to help with mental and physical health. Hard working people such as business owners and professionals commonly suffer from similar side effects that come with leading a high-stress lifestyle. Meditation increases productivity which impacts on your professional and personal life in general, while decreasing negative feelings such as stress and anxiety. Meditation also improves cognitive functioning, and opens the mind to promote creative thinking – something which most successful and driven people use to their advantage.
Essentially, meditation is said to clear your thoughts, help you find clarity, improve the use of your intuition, gain perspective, grow self-awareness, and heal all sorts of personal and business struggles. In fact, professionals from all different industries report that Meditation has made them ‘better leaders’.
How can you make meditation work for you?
Before you start, you need to be aware that there are different types of meditation for different personal goals you want to achieve in life:
- Mindfulness Meditation: A state of awareness of sounds and activities happening around you. This is helpful if you work in a noisy office or live in a noisy area of town and want to learn to block out those sounds.
- Spiritual Meditation: This is a calm, quiet type of meditation, but more religious and focused on spirituality.
- Focused Meditation: This is where you focus on a object, sound, thought, or mantra. This teaches you organization of your thoughts and often includes relaxing music. If you are allowed to use headphones at work, then you can practise this form of meditation right at your desk!
- Movement Meditation: Meditation in which you focus on your breathing and body movements. Moving your body in repetitive movements such as circular motions, or swaying motions can calm you and help clear the mind – useful after a stressful, long day at the office.
- Mantra Meditation: This is the type of Meditation I am most familiar with based on seeing it in movies and TV shows. You know the one… where people make the 'Om' sound. The reason this sound is made is so that you practise focusing fully on just one sound. This type of meditation is best done in the comfort and peace and quiet of your own home.
Here are some basic meditation instructions specifically for business owners and professionals looking to clear their heads:
Step 1. Practice twice a day 15-20 minute meditations.
Step 2. Close the door, sit, take a deep breath, and close your eyes.
Step 3. Take a second deep breath and while breathing outwards release all tension in your body. Do this twice.
Step 4. Focus on yourself. Become aware of how you are feeling, what’s on your mind or who is in your space.
Step 5. Take more deep breaths in and out imagining yourself releasing anything that is cluttering your mind or space.
Step 6. Keep doing this until you realize your only focus is yourself instead of any other thought, or any other person. You should begin to feel calm, and centered.
Step 7. As you are concluding your meditation, you must make a decision for your day. How you want to feel, what you want to accomplish.
Successful men and women who use meditation as part of their daily habit:
- Oprah Winfrey, Chairwoman & CEO, Harpo Productions, Inc.
- Ray Dalio, Founder & Co-CIO, Bridgewater Associates USA
- Rupert Murdoch, Chairman and CEO, News Cor
- Bill Ford, Executive Chairman, Ford Motor Compan
- Larry Brilliant, CEO, Skoll Global Threats Fun
- Padmasree Warrior, CTO, Cisco Systems
- Tony Schwartz, Founder & CEO, The Energy Project
- Russell Simmons, Co-Founder, Def Jam Records; Founder of GlobalGrind.com
- Arianna Huffington, President & Editor-in-Chief, Huffington Post Media Group
- Robert Stiller, CEO, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc.
In our day-to-day lives, our minds really are in 10 different places at once; I can definitely relate to this and I’m sure you can to! But if some of the most inspiring and successful people in the world recommend (and practise) meditation, then it is worth giving a shot! I know I will absolutely try it out and maybe write a follow up blog on my experience. Keeping in mind that nothing good comes quickly or easily, meditation just like all other great things, takes time to understand, and perfect. I will try to make meditation part of my healthy lifestyle, to gain strength and clarity in my mind, body, and soul. After all, life and business are all about growth, discipline, and improvement.