We have all started a 'diet' where we packed a salad for lunch. For many, this does not last long. The main reason is because the same salads everyday are boring. As humans, we need variety and change. There are so many options when it comes to salad recipes. Not only are they easy, they're packed with nutrients to tackle your work day.
Why You Should Eat More Salad
When it comes to eating salad, incorporate more dark, leafy greens. Iceberg lettuce, although low in calories, does not provide you with the nutrients you need to stay focused and healthy. Leafy greens provide the following benefits:
- Keeps you younger: Vitamin K does numerous wonderful things. One of these benefits is combating age-related complications and conditions (especially cardiovascular conditions).
- Benefits eye sight: Decreasing the risk of cataracts and improves vision.
- Fuels Your Body: Vitamin B is essential for energy production.
- Prevents some forms of cancer
These are just some of the benefits that leafy greens provide. This doesn't even include the healthy additions that make your salads delicious and nutrient-rich. Once you add nuts, seeds, raw vegetables and a nutritious dressing; your body will be better prepared for your afternoon at work.
Simple Salad Suggestions
- When making a salad for work, invest in some containers. A decent sized container for your salad and a small container for your dressing is what you'll need.
- Make your dressing the night before. This will allow you to gain a few extra minutes of rest in the morning (well needed I'm sure).
- Since it only takes a minute or two, cut up your vegetables in the morning (increase freshness). You can get wonderful boxes of already cut and washed organic greens. Throw those in a container with some pecans, shaved beets and whatever else you like.
- Get creative! You do not need to stick to the same thing all the time. One day you may add some goat cheese to your salad, while the next you may feel like pumpkin seeds.
- Skip the store-bought croutons and creamy dressings. These are not beneficial for your body. Opt for a nice fresh lemon vinaigrette. Also, replace croutons with nuts and seeds for an added crunch.
- For some added protein include; nuts, chopped chicken or chopped hard boiled eggs.
Here is a recipe for you to start off with. It will allow you to see how easy packing nutritious and delicious salads can be.
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
Sea salt and pepper to taste
*Combine all these ingredients and store in the fridge. Be aware that this will make more than you need for one salad. It is all about being productive; now you will have some dressing made for later in the week. Add garlic or fresh herbs, whatever you are a fan of.
2 healthy handfuls of dark leafy greens (e.g. spinach, kale, swiss chard, romaine, rocket or any mixture)
1/2 teaspoon of hemp seeds (you may add any nut or seed you wish)
1/4 of a small red onion (diced)
6-7 cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/2 tablespoon of feta
*Combine all ingredients. Avoid putting dressing on until you are ready to eat your salad. This salad has a little bit of a greek flavour to it. You can tweak these ingredients if you like; creating something new each day.
Start to get involved with what you're eating. Salads are a great way to avoid bad food choices during your work day. They provide you with the needed energy to work productivity through the afternoon.
Share your favourite salad combinations with us here… comment below!