Work-at-home is an increasingly popular get-rich-quick scheme offered in countries across the globe. It is a method of earning money whilst performing simple tasks while being at home, however the nature of these jobs make them an easy target for scammers and nefarious individuals. It is therefore advised to conduct research and participate in a legitimate work-at-home scheme rather be a victim of a scam that can potentially result in emotional and financial damage.
What is a Refund-Recovery Business Scam
There are two main types of refund-recovery scams, these are the following:
- A refund-recovery business scam offers individuals the opportunity to purchase software to track orders made through international delivery companies such as FedEx or UPS. The individuals who run a scam of such nature tend to offer unsuspecting victims a job tracking parcels for known companies through paying a hefty sum for faulty software.
- Another scam that falls under this category is individuals who have already been scammed into providing information and spending money on a previous work-at-home scheme. The information of such individuals is saved in a database known as the “Sucker List”, which contains phone numbers and details of the scam they were the victim of. The refund-recovery scammers contact these individuals and offer to recover their money from the previous scam, thus scamming them into paying even more money.
How to Spot a Refund-Recover Business Scam
It is imperative that individuals protect themselves against these types of scams to avoid losing money to scammers. There are a number of methods that you can use in order to spot this type of scams, some of which are outlined below:
- Avoid providing any sensitive or important information through the phone, especially to those offering to recover your money from a previous scam
- Refrain from downloading or accepting software from companies that you are unfamiliar from
- Do not purchase software to conduct a job for a third party company, it is likely that the software is faulty and the third party company is unaware of the scam