Brand activation is becoming an increasingly popular way of promoting products and services. When carried out properly, it can help position your brand prominently in a competitive marketplace. It allows you to connect emotionally with consumers and ignite demand for your brand. Here are some of the advantages of brand activation:
- Activation allows you to position your brand prominently in the minds of consumers
- It can revive older brands and increase their popularity among modern-day consumers
- Brand activation events give you the opportunity to get instant feedback from consumers
- It allows you to bypass conventional advertising methods such as print ads and television commercials
Here are some tips for carrying out a successful brand activation campaign:
1. Research the target audience
One of the mistakes many companies make is rushing into marketing campaigns without understanding their audience. Therefore, before embarking on any brand activation campaign, you should first take time to study your target audience. Consider demographics such as income range, gender, age, social status, and geographical location. Having this information will allow you to choose the most appropriate strategies for your audience.
2. Choose the right strategy
There are different ways of carrying out a brand activation campaign. Here are some of the most common:
- Promotional marketing – This entails creating awareness of your products and brand with the aim of gaining a loyal customer base and making more sales. Promotional marketing can be executed using different strategies including point of sale displays, product sampling, special offers, giveaways or reward loyalty programs. Such promotions can be applied in direct mail campaigns, trade shows, workshops and event sponsorships.
- Experiential events – Many companies all over the world are using experiential marketing events to interact with their consumers at a personal level. Such events give consumers the opportunity to get involved in a way that makes them identify with the brand. For example, people have their photos taken or get a chance to play different games. Experiential marketing usually combines digital and physical elements to reach consumers on a psychological, rational and social level. This ensures that people leave the event with a vivid memory of the product.
- In-store retail marketing – Carrying out brand activation from within your store can be very useful for enhancing the image of your brand or product. It gives you the opportunity to emphasize the features and benefits of the product. This kind of retail marketing can be done through product launches, attractive design and point of purchase displays.
3. Hire professionals
Some companies choose to carry out brand activation campaigns on their own. However, if they don’t have the necessary expertise in promotion, they might end up failing miserably and losing lots of money in the process. Therefore, to maximize your return on investment, it would be advisable to hire a reputable firm that has many years of experience in brand promotion. Such a firm will help you come up with the best strategy for reaching your target audience.
4. Evaluate the metrics
A good brand activation campaign should be measurable. One of the metrics you need to look out for when carrying out brand activation is consumer reach. How many people were actually reached through your brand activation campaign? Did the campaign have a local, city wide, national or worldwide reach? Another important metric you need to consider is return on investment. However, this should not just be seen in terms of sales and profits. You could also consider whether you managed to capture consumer data such as social media followers and emails. Such data can come in very handy for future marketing campaigns.
What other ideas do you have regarding brand activation? Feel free to share them with us in the comments section below.