A high-quality logo is one of the most important brand components. It is the graphical representation of a company, which provides information about company’s services and products, embodies the brand’s ideas and core values. As you see, the logo is incredibly important from a commercial point of view. If a logo is bad or irrelevant, the business will not be able to develop effectively.
Being a professional logo designer, I often meet clients, who underestimate the part that logos plays in business. Of course, I always explain that a well-designed logo (good examples can be found at Design Contest) can double or even triple the company’s profit.
In this article, I am going to explain the main principles of logo creation. I hope that my advice will be helpful to people who prefer to make logos themselves instead of turning to professional designers for help.
See Also: UK Bakery Greggs Spoof Logo Goes Viral
1. Creating a Corporate Identity
First of all, you have to choose the best graphical concept: the one that is attractive to the target audience, represents company’s ideas and advantages at the same time. A good logo has to be unique, so be sure to analyze the logos of your competitors to avoid intentional or unintentional plagiarism.
Corporate logos have to look professional. But how can you design a logo that will stand out among dozens and hundreds of others? Moreover, a logo not only has to stand out but also has to awake certain emotions in a target audience. Despite the fact that there’re many logos in every market niche, only a few of them can touch clients’ feelings.
2. What Makes A Logo Successful
The creation of an attractive and successful logo is a difficult challenge. First of all, it is almost impossible to predict the audiences reaction: even if the designer, who created a logo, followed all the rules, the result may be rejected by the target audience. But, this does not mean that you shouldn’t follow certain rules or use tips when designing a logo.
- Idea. Any design must deliver a certain idea or thought or else it will leave people indifferent.
- Individuality. A logo has to be unique, to differ from the logos of a company’s closest competitors. But, it’s not enough for a logo to be unique: it also has to deliver a message that is easy to remember.
- Simplicity. People remember simple logos better than complex ones, which have lots of small (and sometimes even random) details. You have to understand where the fine line between simple and primitive lies, and to avoid crossing it: if the design is too simple, it’ll look unfinished, if it is too primitive, it won’t be taken seriously.
- Aesthetic appeal. esthetic appeal largely depends on the taste of a particular designer, but you cannot ignore the preferences of a target audience. Make a logo integral and neat, avoid using symbols that can be interpreted in different ways (for example, religious ones) and remember color perception. It’s critical to choose the right color palette, suitable for company’s style. Bear in mind that a chosen gamut will remain company’s hallmark until the next rebranding. Color is also important because it can awake certain emotions on a subconscious level.
- Scalability. A logo must be resized easily without losing quality. It is better to have one logo than to develop a new one for each area.
- Mood. It can be hard to describe and visualize a particular mood, and that’s why some designers decide to make an abstract or metaphorical logo. But, there’s a possibility that your abstract logo will be interpreted in an entirely different way and will create an undesirable mood. To avoid this, try using colors that are usually associated with certain emotions. And remember: even the smallest detail can completely change the mood that logos create: for example, making it more playful or businesslike. To create the right mood, a designer has to learn a lot about the company and its values.
3. It Takes Time
As you see, a logo will be effective only if it has both marketing and aesthetic value. Such logo will encourage people to think, awake emotions (both positive and negative) in them, and will inspire them to dream.
Creation of a relevant logo is a difficult task: you must have lots of patience and time to come up with a right solution. As a rule, it’s possible only if you spend a lot of time and energy.
Some Internet services can help you to create a logo: Shopify, Spaces, Hipster Logo Generator, GraphicSprings, etc. But let me remind you once more: it’s not wise to create a logo in a hurry.
It’s impossible to give a guide on how to create the perfect logo as every logo is the result of a designer’s imagination. But, as long as take your time and remember the criteria that define the effectiveness of a logo: such as its idea, integrity, proportions, brightness, color gamut, you have a good foundation.
Have you ever created your own logo? Did you follow any of the tips mentioned above? Let us know below...