Top 10 Richest People in Germany

Top 10 Richest People in Germany Paradise in the World

Germany has the second highest number of billionaires in Europe, boasting 85 ten digit fortunes. The economy in Germany is strong, in fact, it is one of the strongest in Europe. It is therefore no surprise that the country is resident to so many billionaires. According to Forbes, the number of billionaires in Germany grew in 2014 and this looks likely to continue.

I have provided the most recent list available of the richest people in Germany according to sources and data published by Forbes and Wikipedia. Please note that the net worth is as close to the present day figures as possible.

#1 Karl Albrecht and family

Networth: $26 billion
Wealth: Karl (born 1920 – July 2014) co-founded the supermarket chain store giant, Aldi, with his brother Theo (who died in 2010). He was the 6th richest person in Europe and the richest person in Germany until 2014. Karl Hans Albrecht’s wealth was so vast that he is still worth mentioning in this list and is currently still ranked in lists on Forbes and Wikipedia. The Albrecht family remain at the top in Germany’s richest people list.  

#2 Dieter Schwarz

Networth: $21.1 billion
Wealth: Born in 1939, Dieter Schwarz is the owner of the Schwarz-Gruppe. He holds the position of CEO of supermarket chain Lidl and Kaufland – another chain of retail stores. Schwarz’s wealth has largely derived from the retail industry and he is ranked as the 23rd richest person in the world, according to Forbes’ list (2014).

#3 Theo Albrecht Jr and family

Networth: $19.3 billion
Wealth: Theo (formally known as Theodor Paul Albrecht) inherited the supermarket giant Aldi (along with his Brother, Berthold) when his father died in 2010. His brother, Berthold died two years later. Theo’s wealth derives almost solely from the retail industry where the family also own Trader Joe’s – a discount grocery chain.

#4 Michael Otto and family

Networth: $18.3 billion
Wealth: Michael Otto (born 1943) is the head of the Otto Group, which is considered to be the biggest mail order company in the world and the second largest internet retailer after The Otto family also own a wide portfolio of real estate in the U.S and Canada.

#5 Susanne Klatten

Networth: $17.4billion
Wealth: Susanne (born 1962) is the daughter of Johanna Quandt, and her wealth derives from BMW and the pharmaceuticals industry. She is ranked as the richest woman in Germany, which is largely down to her shares in BMW and also holds 49th position in the’ Richest People in the World’ list by Forbes.

#6 Stefan Quandt

Networth: $26 billion
Wealth: Stefan is a member of one of the richest families in Europe and his sister is Susanne Klatten. He resides in Frankfurt and is the BMW heir to the Quandt family fortune. He is also part of the BMW advisory board. In earlier years, he studied economics and engineering, and graduated from the Technical University of Karlsruhe.

#7 Georg  Schaeffler

Networth: $14.4 billion
Wealth: George is owns Schaeffler Group (80%) while his mother owns the remaining 20% share. His wealth derives from his ownership of the Schaeffler Group, which is a producer of roller bearings and is one of the biggest producers in the world.

#8 Johanna Quandt

Networth: $13.9 billion
Wealth: Johanna (born 1926) is another member of the incredibly wealthy Quandt family, who combined, are worth an estimated $43.7 billion. Johanna’s own wealth derives from BMW although she is widely recognised for her efforts and support to journalism and education.

#9 Klaus-Michael Kuehne

Networth: $10.4 billion
Wealth: Klaus Michael Kuehne (born 1937) made his wealth in the shipping industry. He is the Executive Chairman of Kuhne & Nagel and is the majority owner. He founded the transport company with Friedrich Nagel (his grandfather). He currently resides in Switzerland.

#10 Hasso Plattner

Networth: $8.8 billion
Wealth: Plattner (born 1944) is the founder of SAP AG and the majority owner of San Jose Sharks ice hockey team. His wealth derives from the software industry and he is a well-known entrepreneur in the field of economics and science. Hasso is also a respected philanthropist and has received many awards and honours.

If you have any further information on each billionaire or you can update this list with more recent data, then please do! Comment below and let me know your thoughts.