Top 6 Most Wanted Work Visas in the World and How to Get Them the Easy Way

Thinking of travelling abroad to work? Prior to making that big step, you need to gather all of the information you can about work visas to make sure you’re prepared and are familiar with your employment rights. Here you have all the information you need in one place! Whether you are travelling to the US, Australia, Canada, the UK, Dubai or Russia for work, this guide is going to be useful to you.

See Also: Worker Rights in the Philippines

So, check out this list of the most wanted work visas in the world and how to get them the easy way:

1. USA

USA Visa

If you want to live and work in the USA, you need to obtain either a non-immigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The first is ideal if you plan to work in the country for a fixed period of time. In order to get any type of visa, your employer needs to file a petition with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services and get it approved by them.

You then need to choose which category of immigrant or non-immigrant visa you need. The categories correspond to your profession, your level of education and experience as well as the purpose of your travel. These are classified as follows:

  • H-1B: for person in specialty occupation
  • H-1B1: Free Trade Agreement (FTA)
  • H-2A: Temporary Agricultural Worker
  • H-3: Trainee or Special Education Visitor
  • L: Intracompany Transferee
  • O: Individual With Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
  • P-1: Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group
  • P-2/P-3: Artist or Entertainer
  • Q-1: Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Programe

In order to apply for one of these categories, first you need to complete the online visa application (DS-160) and print the application form confirmation page so that you can take it to your interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country you live.  For more information on fees and different visa procedures visit Travel State or USEmbassy.

2. Australia

Australia Visa

Unless you come from New Zealand, you will need to have a work permit to be able to work in Australia. Since the visa application process for this country is viewed as long and intimidating, Immi aims to make it a lot easier for you to apply for a work visa. No matter where you come from you can find useful information in regards to the visa requirements and what each type of visa involves.

According to your profession, skills, education and experience you’ll either need to apply for the employer-sponsored working visa or the long-stay working visa (subclass 457) which is a multiple-entry visa that allows you to work in the country for up to four years and bring secondary applicants e.g. family members with you. For more information on the different types of work visas, don’t forget to visit the Australian Government’s website.

3. Canada

Canada Visa

If you are interested in working in Canada, it might be worth going through the list of the job categories that don’t require a work permit before you apply for one. This is to ensure whether you need or are even eligible for a work permit. Getting a work visa for Canada will depend on numerous things as the government has introduced many eligibility requirements. For example, to be able to work you might need a passport and a temporary resident visa (TRV) unless you come from the US, Saint-Pierre and Miquelon or Greenland.

The easiest way to apply for this visa is through the Government of Canada’s (CIC) website. But before doing so, make sure you take a look at CIC to get more information on how to apply for a work permit.

4. UK

UK Visa

In order to be able to work in the UK, you will need to obtain a Tier 2 (general) Visa. You are eligible for one if you’ve been offered a job in the UK, or come from Switzerland or a country that’s outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Depending where you come from, visa application costs and process time may vary although you usually get a decision within 3 weeks.

With a Tier 2 visa, you can stay in the UK for up to 5 years and 14 days, and your stay must start no more than 14 days before the start date of your sponsorship certificate. If you are interested in working in the UK, you can easily apply online. Visit to get more information in regards to working in the UK.

5. Dubai

Dubai Visa

As a non-UAE citizen, you need to obtain a residency visa and a work permit (labour card) that’s issued by the Ministry of Labour. This is the ‘Residence permit for employment issued to an employee’ that allows you to stay in Dubai for up to 3 years if you are planning to work in the private sector. The same applies for the work visa for the public sector (up to 3 years) although it requires different supporting documents, and it’s easier to obtain.

The good news about choosing to work in Dubai is that your employer or sponsor deals directly with the visa application process and work permit and usually pays the costs involved. In order to obtain the work permit this is what you need:

  • Passport with at least six months validity
  • Residency visa
  • A standard photo
  • Valid health certificate
  • Photocopy of sponsoring company’s trade license
  • Three copies of employment contract
  • Copies of professional qualifications

As far as the labour card is concerned, you will need to show your residency visa, your qualifications, and your passport. Check out UAE Government’s [302 from] page to get more information about obtaining a work visa for Dubai.

6. Russia

Russia Visa

Russian visa regulations are considered to be costly and time-consuming. Unless you are a Belarusian or Kazakh citizen, you’ll need to obtain a work permit to be able to work in Russia. So, the first step to getting your visa requires that your employer applies for a corporate work permit for you. As soon as you receive the invitation from your employer, you can apply for a work visa at your nearest Russian consulate or embassy.   

The work visa is valid for up to three months although it’s possible to get an extension of up to 1-year if your annual salary is more than 2,000,000 Rubles (eq. to 32,455.76 Euros). Once you arrive at the country check with the immigration authorities in Russia if you are allowed an extension and make sure you register your address. After that, your employer will be responsible to notify labor and tax authorities about your employment.  

In order to get a work visa, you’ll need to submit a completed visa application form and present the following documents:

  • A valid national passport (longer than 1 and a half-year).
  • A standard photo.
  • Copies of bank statements.
  • The original letter of invitation from your Russian host organisation issued by the Federal Migration service or its local office.
  • A valid HIV blood test certificate.

For more information check with the Russian Embassy to make sure that you are well-prepared and have everything you need prior to your arrival.

See Also: Top 10 Websites to Find Freelance Work

So, where would you like to go? Let us know in the comments section below…