We all have big dreams for ourselves, don’t we? We can all picture ourselves the next fitness model, the next highly successful entrepreneur, or the next Van Gogh, Shakespeare, or James Cameron. Within our heads is painted this amazing picture for self-improvement, which will enable us to reach amazing heights of greatness.
But translating those dreams and desires into reality is harder than you might think. Your dreams don't take into account the little steps you have to take every day to accomplish those big things, and that's where most of us fall flat.
How to Realize your Self-Improvement Dreams
Here are a few ways you can make your desires for your own self-improvement a reality:
- Be accountable -- If you only ever see these dreams in your head, you have no reason to stay the course once you realize how hard they are. However, getting them out there by telling your friends and family about them forces you to put your money where your mouth is. If you're accountable to someone else, the pressure they will place on you will make it much harder for you to quit when the going gets tough.
- Start small, but start -- There are many things that can cause you to fail, but the only thing that guarantees failure is never starting out. Start out with a few small, baby steps that will get you going down the road towards achieving your dreams. You'll never build Rome in a day, so don't try. Just start laying the blocks on top of each other and keep it up one day at a time.
- Kick your own butt -- You may be highly motivated now, but what happens a few weeks down the line when your motivation flags? That's when it's time to motivate yourself and give yourself a kick in the butt to keep moving.
- Work through it -- So your motivation has run out and you no longer feel like working towards the goal you've set for yourself? So what? If you're going to bring your desires for self-improvement into reality, you'll have to work through that lack of motivation regardless of how you feel. Put on those big boy or big girl pants, and SUCK IT UP!
- Use failures, plan for temptation -- Failures are a part of life, and you can use them to help you do better the next time around. You need to factor temptation into your plan and realize that you'll always be tempted to slack off or do less than you should. It's not a failure if you've planned for it, so don't let temptation throw you off course.
- Set goals and reach them -- This may sound overly simplistic, but it's really the only way you'll get anything done. Set a goal, and work hard to reach them. Don't let anything stop you from reaching them and work your butt off to reach your goals even if it means cramming 3 weeks of work into the last two days before the deadline.
- Commit -- This is the only way that you're going to actually keep going all the way until the end, come hell or high water. You're going to face some serious obstacles and no amount of motivation will keep you pushing forward. The only thing that will is commitment, so make your commitment as public as possible. The more committed you are the less chance there is that you will back out of it.
Self-improvement comes at a high cost, but it's totally worth it. Use the tips above to help you turn your dreams for self-improvement into reality!