Multilevel marketing (MLM) businesses seem to be everywhere these days. Some have been around for decades, others are fairly new. You may recognise such as Amway, HerbaLife, NuSkin, Mary Kay, and Pampered Chef, among many others. Many people believe MLM opportunities are nothing more than a scam to help other people make money. Others despise them because they have been harassed by people involved in them.
Despite these misconceptions, joining an MLM business is a wonderful opportunity for many people. Let's take a look at why you should consider joining an MLM business.
- You are your own boss: Being an independent business owner lets you set your own rules. You are in charge of every aspect. Work when you want, how long you want, as hard as you want. It all comes down to how much money you want to make, and how much time and effort you are willing to give.
- Minimal start up/operational costs: As an Amway independent business owner, I spent just under $200 to get started. Each year, I renew my business for $65. My business activity, income and taxes are all taken care of online. I do not need to keep inventory on hand because customers can order right from my website with direct shipping. My personal training business, on the other hand, cost me over $400 to incorporate with the state of Illinois. Each year, I must renew my business license for over $100 and roughly $100 to have my tax information compiled and submitted. I also purchase equipment to use, which is out of pocket. If you don't have much money and want to start a business, an MLM opportunity fits perfectly.
- They fit your specific needs: Do you need extra cash, or do you want to build a significant business? Are there certain types of products you love to use, or would like to but find too expensive? With an MLM business, you can make as much money as you want. If you simply want extra cash, it won't require much work. However, if you really want to make significant money with an MLM business, that opportunity exists as well. Best of all, you buy products for a highly discounted price; allowing you to enjoy high quality prices while saving money.
- You learn: Anybody who has ever sold anything knows how difficult it can be. Confidence, the right words, and the right listener are all necessary. You are going to make plenty of mistakes when you start. Yet, its better to make mistakes with your own business than working for somebody else. If you can't sell anything your first couple weeks in an MLM business, you can keep working. At a place of employment, you will probably get demoted or fired. Learn your lessons on your own dime now so it doesn't cost you dollars later. My biggest lesson is to not look at what I'm doing as selling. Instead, I'm teaching people about why my products are beneficial to them. I make it personal and show them how a product is perfect for their wants and needs, as well as superior to others.
- You work with a team: Learning a business is difficult. With an MLM, you will join a team. Members of the team succeed when you do, so it is in their best interest to help you any way possible. Seek out the most successful people on the team and learn from them. This is a great shortcut to success.
If these reasons sound good, I highly encourage you to at least look into some MLM opportunities. There are business opportunities for many types of products. Find one that you would personally use, then research the business plan. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.