If you’re a recent or soon-to-be graduate, you may be considering an internship to further your professional skills. When choosing a company, you’ll need to consider a variety of factors; a small business or a large one? What benefits are you looking for? What skill set do you want to develop?
Additionally, you need to ascertain whether or not your own current skills and experience match up with the program requirements. If you’re looking to intern at a larger company with high brand awareness, consider interning at Aflac by following these steps.
1. Background on the Company
One of the first steps in deciding where to intern is to research the company and ensure that it will further your specific career goals. Aflac, or the American Family Life Assurance Company, is a good choice with a history of success dating back to 1955. Founded by three brothers after they witnessed their father suffering from a serious illness, it’s a Fortune 500 company that provides the benefits and supplemental insurance your medical provider won’t.
2. Benefits To Your Developing Career
When it comes to completing an internship, you need to find a company that will provide you with a variety of benefits. This is not because you think you deserve everything, but if you’re going to be spending several weeks or months participating in an internship program then you don’t want to be wasting your time. Some of the benefits of completing an internship at Aflac are:
- Advancement – Management cultivates interns for advancement and promotions.
- Finances - Bonuses and educational scholarships are given for high work performance.
- Education – Interns will learn from key management leaders and hone their own skills.
- Personal – Paid time off, an on-site fitness center, and on-site health clinic are offered.
- Insurance – Interns transitioning to employees will receive excellent insurance benefits.
- Future – Interns transitioning to employees can participate in a profit sharing 401(k).
3. Requirements & Internship Programs
Aflac is seeking recent college graduates or soon to graduate college students, as the management sees great value in cultivating the potential of their interns into possible future employees. Depending on your career goals, one of the Aflac Internship Programs may be exactly what you’re looking for:
- SIFE – The Students in Free Enterprise program cultivates “high-caliber” students who are interested in working with customers who have suffered loss, illness or injury and need to find a way to get their life back on track. The program offers a two-year rotation cycle, where the intern participates in various departments in the company while being mentored and completing leadership courses. If you consider yourself an entrepreneur at heart, then this is the internship at Aflac that would be a perfect fit for you.
- New Internship & Co-Op Program – This program is for high-caliber students who are interested in participating in the regular Technical, Industry, Career or Leadership Development curriculum and further developing their skills with the potential for career advancement within the company. If you seek consistent training, this is the program for you.
You can apply for an internship at Aflac for some of the following current internship opportunities: Sales, HR, Marketing, Business Relations, as well as the various Summer Internship Program positions.
See Also: How to Get an Internship with Zappos
When applying for your next internship, remember to carefully consider your future career goals and make an informed decision in finding the company most suited to your current professional needs. If you have interned at Aflac before, please feel free to share your experiences below.