Oracle is one of the largest computer technology corporations in the world, with headquarters in Redwood City, California. Not only does the company produce hardware and software, but it offers database management systems, customer relationship management programs, and so much more!
Oracle jobs are usually fairly well paid--a survey done in 2010 discovered Oracle offers above-average salaries, particularly for those with Master’s Degrees and above. However, Oracle likes to hire their developers straight out of college, so now is the time to be looking!
1. Start the learning process
In order to get hired by Oracle, there is a lot you will need to do:
- Learn as much as you can about SQL and SQL. Both are necessary for the duties you will undertake at Oracle.
- Take the Oracle Certification Program exam and complete it with as high a grade as possible.
- Read the "Oracle Server Concepts Guide". This is a technical manual that is part of the Oracle documentation, and you’ll need to study it to learn how to use the Oracle databases.
- Learn programming languages like PL/SQL, Pro*C, SQLJ, etc. You can find a wide range of reference books on the Oracle website, and you need to start learning these languages NOW in order to gain the necessary experience.
- Get a job with a company that will train you in databases and database development. Experience is essential in order to work at Oracle.
- Work with Oracle databases. Install your own at home, or download Oracle products and learn to work with them.
There is A LOT to learn, so you should start brushing up on your skills now. It can be quite intensive, but you’ll find that the more you learn while young, the easier it will be to master the skills. The more skills you can master, the more you will have to offer Oracle, and the easier it will be to land a job there!
2. Freshen up your resume
If you have followed through on all the steps above, you will have both experience and skills to show on your resume. Make sure to tailor your resume for the Oracle jobs you will be applying for!
3. Apply for an entry-level job
There are many entry-level jobs available at Oracle, and it’s wise to start at the bottom of the ladder as you are earning your Master’s Degree. You can look on Indeed to find the various positions available, and apply for these jobs now. The sooner you start, the sooner you can begin to work your way up the ladder. By the time you have your Master’s Degree, you will be able to apply for much better-paid jobs at Oracle! Oracle tends to promote from within.
Here are a few more sites to check out for Oracle jobs:
- Oracle FAQs Message Board
- Just Tech Jobs
You can even check out the Oracle primary company website to find details on not just jobs, but also training and certification programs.