Gandhi was a civil rights activist that was the leader of the Indian Independence movement. Using non-violent means such as hunger strikes and sit-ins, Gandhi inspired people all over the world to fight injustice and violence with non-violence. He was educated as a lawyer in England, but felt that his purpose in life had a much larger scope than that of the judicial system. Although he attempted to become a lawyer in Bombay, he couldn’t bring himself, psychologically, to cross-examine witnesses. After a problem with an English officer, he migrated to South Africa. There he witnessed the injustice of wealthy Indians and their indentured employees, and he was subjected to racist attacks by European colonists. Upon returning to India with a reevaluated perspective regarding civil liberty and injustice, he put it upon himself to help eliminate these issues. He is a symbol of peace and inspiration for many oppressed people even today. He walked 400 km (250 mi) to protest oppressive taxation, underwent many hunger strikes protesting post-independence violence, and was tragically assassinated on January 30, 1948. These are 20 inspirational quotes to help you with the Mondays.
See also: 20 Motivational Quotes by the Dalai Lama
- "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
- "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."
- "I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people."
- "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."
- "A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."
- "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
- "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- "Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent than the one derived from fear of punishment."
- "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
- "Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory."
- "If patience is worth anything, it must endure to the end of time. And a living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm."
- "My life is my message.”
- "In a gentle way, you can shake the world."
- "There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need but not for man’s greed."
- "Action expresses priorities."
- "Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good."
- "A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes."
- "Confession of errors is like a broom which sweeps away the dirt and leaves the surface brighter and clearer. I feel stronger for confession."
- "Self-respect knows no considerations."
- "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems."
Are there any other motivational quotes that you would like to add to this list? Please help motivate another person by adding it in the comment section below.