Marriott International is one of the most recognized brands in the hospitality industry. It opened its 4,000th hotel in 2014, with nearly 700,000 rooms in 80 countries around the world. Definitely a good company to consider if you want a career in hospitality!
Marriott International offers university graduates a chance to participate in the Voyage Global Leadership Development program, an internship opportunity that will give students hands-on training and leadership experience. If you are considering a career with the Marriott, it’s a good option to consider.
What you need to know
The Voyage program lasts for 12 to 18 months, depending on your country and discipline. It is meant to prepare you to take on an entry-level management role in the company.
The position is paid, though at an entry-level salary. The compensation will vary according to your country.
Roughly 500 Voyagers are selected from around the world every year. Considering that there are applicants from more than 30 countries, this means an average of 16 to 18 applicants per country per year.
Where to apply
Voyage is available in 30 countries around the world, including:
- Europe region (France, Spain, Italy, etc.)
Voyage postings can be found on the Marriott International website (or the U.S. website for American students).
The Voyage program recruits from schools around the world. You can check out their Recruitment Schedule to find out if your school is on the list, and, if so, when the recruiter will be visiting so you can apply in person.
Are you eligible?
Want to know if you’re eligible for the Voyage program? Here are the requirements:
- You must have graduated from a hotel school or university within the last 12 months
- You must be proficient in English
- You must have permanent work authorization in the country where you are residing
- Your school should be on the list
If you meet all these requirements, you are eligible to apply for the internship program.
The selection process
To apply for the Voyage program is fairly easy.
- Visit the website for your country and find the Voyage/internship programs.
- Register to create an account. In order to apply for the programs, you need to create an account with academic and personal information. It takes five to fifteen minutes, and is totally free.
- Apply for the programs. Once you have your account, you can navigate to the Voyage/internship program of choice and click "Apply Online". You just need to attach your resume or CV, and click "Send".
- See the recruiters. Recruiters will usually focus their interviews on the students who have filled out the online applications, so make sure to have yours filled out before the recruiter comes to your school. There will usually be an online assessment, followed by a group and/or personal interview, and a final interview (with the most eligible candidates).
Note: If there are no recruiters coming to your school in the current season, you may be asked to give an interview over the phone.
Once you have been interviewed, the recruiter will notify you (within two weeks) of the status of your application.
Be prepared: you may not receive the offer of internship or notice of your placement for six to eight weeks after the interview.
How to ace the interview
The Marriott website has a few simple tips to help you ace your Voyage/internship interview:
- Be professional, arrive early, and dress/act the part.
- Be a leader--both in your academic and personal life.
- Be a team-player and a people person that works well with others.
- Ask smart questions that show enthusiasm, intelligence, and commitment.
- Be a problem-solver.
Follow the tips above, and you’ll stand a much better chance of getting that Voyage internship with Marriott International! Are you currently working for Marriott International? If so, share with us your experiences to help those who are interested in the comments section below.