It takes boldness, tenacity and a warm extension of kindness to build a serious and tangible network. In this case, I’m talking about networking beyond the usual social media confinement that is prevalent amongst young careerists today. In essence, when it comes to building an impressive track record in networking, one is meant to broaden their perspective in regards to their greatest challenge…
Let’s take Career Development for Instance
See also: How to Network Smartly
In this case, you might be a young person with the ambition to travel and sample some of the best workplaces in the world. What do you need?
- Of course a portfolio is essential because, ‘sorry kid’, people still judge the book by its cover.
- Then of course, engagement is a must.
- The order of business largely depends on the kind of people that acclimatize to your career brand.
It will be easy for you as long as you do not exaggerate your portfolio. Otherwise you’ll find yourself mingling with either overqualified or under qualified careerists without the same aspirations in mind. Great minds think alike and birds of a feather flock together. So you’ll really want to be in sync with the people you network with. The deeper the level of engagement, the better for you and your future success.
Crème de la Crème
I should presume of course that you’re an ambitious character that doesn’t just want to stick to their comfy networking zone. You want to climb the career ladder and by doing so, you’re assured of meeting key industry players at some point whom you would want to mingle with:
- This of course is going to require a different approach since these people are busy and they don’t have time to waste with casual talk, unless it’s with their peers of course.
- They strictly require sharp minds that can ascend to their level of logical perspective in an instant.
- Drag behind and the network is compromised. Show true discipleship and you might soon be the newest member of the crème de la crème.
It’s not all Bread and Butter
It’s one thing to build a network, but it’s an entirely different story to maintain it:
- When it comes to making a serious investment of time and money, there is no escape.
- You don’t want to build a castle of sand that’s washed away by the sea in an instant.
- Instead, you want a grand magnificence. A network that spans for many years, and one that makes every second count in terms of consultations, assistance and mentorship.
It therefore dawns on you that there is no escape from the inevitable challenge…
How Does One Build an Impressive Track record in Networking?
1. Learn From the Best to be the Best
They say that imitation breeds limitation:
- This is to the extent of uniqueness that one has put into their network to make it stand out.
- The world is abundant and resourceful in terms of creativity and ideas.
- Therefore, in as much as it is important to learn from the best don’t imitate and conform too much.
- Just because it works for someone else doesn’t mean that the same exact results will reflect on your part.
- No one is a robot and everyone possesses a unique personality.
- It is therefore up to you to ensure that the same principle reflects when it comes to building a track record in networking.
Speaking of which…
2. Polish up on your Social Skills to Establish a Unique Brand
When we talk of key players in various industries, the first thing that comes to mind is their social branding:
- They use this to establish a unique aura around them.
- This aura is meant to attract likeminded compatriots while at the same time deter mediocre acquaintances.
- The same should apply to your networking track record as long as you’re sure of what you want.
- Your wants should be guided by your career goals as well as the inherent ambition that is shared among network members.
3. Scale up your Material Investment to get Concrete Results
As I mentioned earlier, monetary investment will be inevitable at some point since:
- The higher you go, the more the expectations to be laden upon you.
- Plus, we’re talking about a tangible network beyond the virtual confines of social media.
- Thus, occasional social gatherings that suit the social class of your network would be an added plus and would leave a lasting impression which ultimately cements the network even more.
- Soon enough, you’ll reap from the benefits of free advertising through the ‘spreading of rumors’ that will be propagated in form of positive commendations as well as an exemplary networking track record.
So here’s the deal, building an impressive track record in networking is going to be a necessity, especially if you aspire to be a very rich and influential figure. If you merely depend on your career to achieve this, then maybe Robert Kiyosaki’s words might change your approach – “The richest people in the world look for and build networks, everyone else looks for work.”