Mercedes Benz is a division of the German automobile manufacturer, Daimler AG. The Mercedes Benz brand prides itself on producing Safe, Sophisticated and State-of-the-art products. The company manufactures luxury cars, coaches and trucks. The main headquarters is located in Germany. The name Daimler-Benz first appeared in 1926. However, it can be traced as far back as Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft’s 1901 Mercedes and Karl Benz’s 1886 Benz Patent-Motorwagen. The company has a high standard of excellence in both its manufacturing and employee work ethic. This article will address steps needed to get an internship with Mercedes Benz.
See Also: How to Get an Internship with Apple
1. Philosophy of Their Internship Programs
For over 130 years the philosophy at Mercedes Benz has always been, “Whatever it is, it’s always the best or nothing.” Those are powerful words. As a prospective intern, those words should cause you to pause. If you complete an internship at Mercedes Benz, you will be put into workplace situations where you will see why that standard of excellence has catapulted the company to global success and name recognition. As an intern, you will also be challenged to succeed. Management at Mercedes Benz acknowledges that this younger generation is the key to our global future and to the success of the company. Their philosophy regarding the internship program is to partner with the young people working in these programs. Management hopes to identify and develop new leaders for future positions in their company.
2. Types of Internship Programs Available
At Mercedes Benz, management believes in creating a workplace environment that cultivates individual and professional growth while training interns for future success. There are two types of internship programs available for interns to complete.
- Internships: For this internship program, management can develop student’s workplace skill set and hopefully cultivate a long-standing association with a wide variety of colleges and universities. Additionally, management is enabled to tailor their specific internship program because of their keen knowledge of the various university academic programs that they have been invited to evaluate. It is a win-win situation for the company, the intern and the universities as a whole. The student completing this internship receives a wage for working in the “real-life” workplace environment. However, no academic credits are received by this intern.
- Co-Op Program: This program is reserved for college students who are presently enrolled in a co-op through their university. With this program, the student will benefit from receiving on-site job training in exchange for being the paid minimum wage. Additionally, the student will receive academic credits through the school co-op program. Management utilizes this co-op program as another source for finding talented students for their workforce.
3. Internship Selection Process
Mercedes Benz takes the intern selection and hiring process very seriously. All hiring managers are required to complete a “Talent Selection” workshop where they are educated on the appropriate way to conduct such a behavior-based interview. According to management, they believe that an individual’s past behavior is a good predictor of future behavior. So, they utilize behavioral-based interviewing during the internship selection and job hiring processes. Candidates need not fear any type of bias during the interview process since diversity is used in selecting the panel of managers conducting the interviews.
4. Company Culture & Community
Due to the status associated with the Mercedes Benz brand, all interns and employees are generally inspired to perform in the workplace at their peak level. As discussed earlier, the phrase first used by Gottlieb Daimler, “The Best or Nothing” is still inspiring the company culture and community today. Leaders in the company have fully embraced this phrase, and it inspires their development and the cultivation of their interns and full-time employees.
5. Benefits of an Internship
As mentioned earlier, interns are paid for their work and those participating in the Co-op Program also receive academic credits. Interns receive encouragement to work on real-life workplace projects and ascertain viable solutions for operational issues. Management encourages them to share their ideas for improvement through their “MyIdea” global online platform.
6. How to Apply for an Internship
Internship opportunities at Mercedes Benz are provided for students who are attending US colleges and Universities, as well as international students. You can review current opportunities and apply for one of the internships that are available or contact your college or university to ascertain if the co-op option is right for you.
See Also: How to Get an Internship With Accenture
Completing an internship at Mercedes Benz will be an excellent opportunity for an intern to develop “real-life” work experience while developing professional skills at a company that holds to a high standard of excellence.