KPMG is one of the largest multinational financial services firms in the world, and is one of the Big Four (along with Deloitte, Ernst & Young, and PwC). If you want to have a career in finance, working for KPMG is definitely a great way to go.
See Also: How to Get Hired by Deloitte
According to Target Jobs, KPMG will hire as many as 1,000 new graduates every year. But considering that 25,000 people apply for the jobs, it’s a pretty stiff competition! You have to know how to make yourself an attractive candidate if you want to get hired by KPMG.
Here are the steps to getting hired:
1. Be Certain You Have the Right Skills
What is KPMG looking for in an employee?
- Task management skills
- Team skills
- Problem solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Commercial awareness
- Personal effectiveness
- The desire to learn
KPMG is searching for employees that:
- Work well with others
- Deliver projects and complete tasks on time
- Strive to make improvements
- Exercise sound judgement
- Make an impact
- Demonstrate innovation
- Are curious and driven to learn
If you fit this profile, you have a MUCH better chance of getting hired by KPMG!
2. Find the Right Job
If you’re considering working at KPMG, you have to know what the job options are. There are dozens of job opportunities not just around the U.S., but also around the world!
Here is where to find information on the available jobs:
Search through the job listings there until you find the one that suits you best, and click on the link.
3. Fill Out the Application
In this day and age, there’s no need to fill out a paper application and mail it in--everything is done online!
When you navigate to the job listing, you’ll see there is a link where you can "Apply for the Job". Click on it, and you’ll be taken to the application page. There you will be asked to provide information, such as:
- Personal details
- Contacts at KPMG (not mandatory, but it helps to have a friend on the inside)
- Details of the job or internship you’re applying for
- Education, including the name of the institution and your degree level
- Qualifications. Don’t worry if you’re fresh out of school and don’t have professional qualifications yet. This is a standard box for every level of hire.
- Language skills (not mandatory, but being multilingual gives you a better chance of getting hired)
- Employment/work history
Once this is done, it’s time to submit the form!
4. Take the Situational Judgment Test
Within 24 hours of sending your application, you will receive a link to an online test. It’s a short 30-minute test that gives you a chance to show how you would react to real life scenarios. These questions are subjective and designed to test your dedication to work, your personality traits, and your work-life balance.
Here is an example of a question commonly asked:
Question: Everyone in your department has received a new computer system except for you. What would you do?
Please choose the most effective and the least effective responses:
- Assume this is a mistake and speak to your manager.
- Confront your manager regarding why you are being treated unfairly.
- Take a new computer from one of your colleagues.
- Complain to Human Resources.
KPMG also requires applicants to take a verbal and numerical reasoning test. Each of these will take about 20 minutes, and they’re pass/fail tests.
5. Schedule a Telephone Interview
If you pass all the tests, you will have a telephone/Skype interview scheduled. It will usually not last more than an hour, and it will focus on your competencies in the skills needed for the job for which you are applying.
We’ve got lots of resources to help you with your telephone interviews…
6. Perform the Immersive Assessment Review
In this stage, you will be given a real life scenario to see how you handle it. You will be assigned a fictitious company, and you will be responsible for managing its finances and accounting.
This is to see how you carry out the activities needed to work at KPMG, and it’s a hands-on experience that will give you an insight into how things are run. If you ace this part of the review, you’re in!
See Also: How to Get Hired By VISA
It’s a competitive job market, and KPMG jobs are some of the most sought-after in the financial industry. But if you follow the advice above, you’ll have a much better chance of getting hired by KPMG.