Pay per click (PPC) management refers to the planning and prioritization of Internet advertising activities. PPC managers mainly work for Web-based businesses where they oversee PPC campaigns in Google, Yahoo, MSN and other Internet advertising platforms. If you are passionate about the Internet and have excellent analytical skills, you could become a PPC manager.
What do PPC Managers do?
On a day-to-day basis, a PPC manager could perform the following duties;
- Studying search data to identify the key words that are most relevant to the business
- Managing the firm’s PPC accounts on Yahoo, Google and other platforms
- Writing and testing advertising copies
- Developing and implementing effective online advertising strategies
- Compiling daily, weekly or monthly reports for major metrics, such as search and referral traffic
- Staying abreast of trends in the search engine and PPC industry.
PPC managers work in a fast-paced office environment. They work 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.
While at work, they largely interact with electronic devices, such as laptop computers and tablets.
Eager to know whether PPC managers smile all the way to the bank? Well, the following table highlights the average annual salaries for PPC managers at various career levels.
Average Annual Wage
£25,000 - £30,000
PPC account manager
£30,000 - £40,000
£35,000 - £45,000
Education and Training
To set your foot in the search engine and PPC industry, you need to earn a bachelor’s degree in Internet, online or digital marketing. Other relevant fields include;
- Information technology
- Business administration
- Project management.
You also need to be proficient with computer programs and web analytics tools, such as;
- MS Excel
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Word
- Google Analytics.
In the UK, some of the universities offering Internet marketing courses include;
- London School of Business and Finance, London
- University of Essex, Colchester
- Middlesex University, London
- Birmingham City university, Birmingham.
The best thing about IPA is that it offers eight weeks’ paid placement for final year students and graduates.
Important Skills and Abilities
An effective PPC manager should have;
- Superior analytical skills to draw accurate key words from search engine data
- Strong research skills to gather facts from lots of information
- Good project management skills to oversee ad campaigns effectively
- Good communication and presentation skills
- A willingness to learn new Internet marketing strategies
- Good business and budgeting skills.
Because most employers prefer to hire experienced PPC managers, most PPC managers usually begin in entry-level roles, such as web content creator, and work their way up.
Once you become a PPC manager, you can further your career by earning PPC certifications and advanced degrees
The most recommended programmes to pursue include;
- Google Ad Words Certified Partner
- Yahoo! Search Marketing Ambassador
- Postgraduate Diploma in Direct and Digital Marketing with B2B
- Level 4 CAM Diploma in Digital Marketing
- Master’s degree in Internet marketing
You can also join professional associations, such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing and the Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing, to access the career progression schemes and build professional networks.
As a qualified PPC manager, you can work for;
- Web-based businesses of all kinds
- Digital marketing agencies
- Public organizations
With vast job experience and advanced qualifications, you can become a PPC director or move into self-employment by establishing a digital marketing consultancy firm.
The success of PPC managers is often defined by the number of clicks they can generate on various ad campaigns. To generate millions of them consistently, you need to rely on your drive, motivation and ability to interact with various Internet marketing software. Good luck!